Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help for a friend that had stroke (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-friend-had-stroke-t216926.html)

jetayre 03-22-2013 06:54 AM

thanks for all your suggestion. I have forwarded the info for her and will let you know what her comments are.

Rose_P 03-22-2013 10:35 AM

I recently bought an old hand crank Singer and because I'm right-handed it baffles me how people managed to sew with them in the old days. I wish I had some good ideas to help, but I think the main thing it will take is practice and working slowly. I imagine part of her problem is that it's not just a simple matter of changing sides, but there is the additional issue of keeping her body stable while she works. If the rest of us tried to work with the non-dominant hand and foot it wouldn't be the same because the other side would still be able to keep everything upright and balanced.

If she likes the computer, perhaps cruising through a site like Etsy or Pinterest will help her discover something she can try. As for doing puzzles, if she happens to like them, jigidi.com or thejigsawpuzzles.com offer some in a wide range of styles and levels of difficulty, without the inconvenience of having to dedicate a table to the project. It would probably be something that will help her to keep her mind active. She might also enjoy crossword puzzles online, http://webcrosswords.com/daily-crossword-puzzles/ or Words with Friends (available via Facebook). You could play WwF with her - it's addictive!

My SIL's mom had a stroke at age 80 and was confined to a wheel chair for the rest of her life - 18 years! During that time we were amazed to see that she steadily improved! She regained much of her ability to speak, which had been lost initially, and she never lost her sharp wit and ability to enjoy life and watch her grandchildren grow up. I hope your friend's future will be like that.

cr12cats 03-22-2013 08:26 PM

I had stoke 5 years ago that was my left side. it took awhile and i still have a hard time with larger things like the quillows i have been doing for the kids.so it is a slow process. but to start with I started with just crazy squares.that way it doesn't have to be exact, i just figured the crazier the better.maybe then you can help her sew them into a lap quilt. if the machine has a control on it for speed put it on slow. just sewing on piecies onto muslum randomly. it doesn't have to be straight. My machine pretty much feeds the fabric through so I just had to hold it to let it guide through. if there is a place on her machine to adjust the fed dogs just make sure they are up enough to feed it through doing most of the work.also if her arm hangs down it may help to use a arm sling just to be able to hold it a bit, at first it did me. and /or prop a pillow under the side she needs. I was lucky i am mostly right handed so I want to wish your friend good luck. the cutting would be to scary with the left so only pre cuts or some one cut things out for her.they have the tools for making strips that you pulled the material on but i'm not sure how hard you have to pull. but that might be good as excerise for both arms too. ask her therapist. I was so totally bored and hated the excerises they gave me after a while so i made up my own by sewing. that was my theraphy and i can now touch my left ear and up to my eyes on my face. and sometime reach the faucet to turn it off.( I know it sounds silly but you just aim for small steps at a time.) so tell her keep trying , just tell her be patient it takes time and start slow a little at a time.all the best to your friend.

cathyvv 03-22-2013 08:42 PM

I use glue to 'pin' fabrics together for sewing - sometimes the pins are too much to handle because of fibromyalgia in arms/hands. It's especially good for matching points.

grandmahoney 03-23-2013 03:57 AM

I have worked in a caring center for 10 years. I really think her sewing days are over but the one thing she does have is knowledge. She could teach someone to sew on a one to one bases. There are so many people out there that would love to learn to make a quilt and she could be the one to help them. If she has a granddaughter or grandson that would like to learn to quilt that would even be better. She needs to feel like she is needed and this is one thing that is very important to us all.

toolazy 03-23-2013 04:19 AM

If she has some use of her right side to help line up fabric pieces to get them ready to sew, then she could sure sew straight lines with a dual-feed Pfaff (integrated dual feed). Mine works much better than any walking foot I've had. For straight seams on reasonable fabric, you don't need to pin anything when using this machine. You might need to reposition a little on a very long seam (say, when inserting a 90" zipper) but a piece or two of painter's tape would take care of that. I don't know what these machines cost now or what the used market is like.

Again, if she has some use of her right side but not a lot of fine motion, an eraser stick might help her position fabric layers for sewing. A pencil with eraser end, or a big pink eraser, or a retractable white eraser (about pencil sized, black case with a long white eraser stick in it; office supply store).

Hope she can find something to keep busy and challenged but not frustrated!

maryfrang 03-23-2013 05:10 AM

If she is on the computer, show her the Quilting Board, and she can share with all of us, our quilting enjoyment. She may also be helpful with questions and suggestions. And there are so many different blogs. Good luck hope you find the assistance she need to enjoy a great craft.

sewred 03-23-2013 05:38 AM

Could someone mount the foot pedal inside the sewing table so she could use her knee if possible?

sewred 03-23-2013 05:42 AM

Here is where a person on yahoo ask for tips for his wife after a stroke for ways to sew. I hope it will help.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2064002AAPbP1U

iwillquilt 03-23-2013 10:32 AM

She might try hand quilting. Someone could put it in a hoop for her. She might have to learn to use her left hand and use a desktop needle threader.( I love mine) It would not be piecing her own quilts, but she might find she enjoys the quilting part. I hope she is able to regain some use of the right side. My brother was able to regain some use of his leg and foot. His arm never responded. Sending prayers that she finds health and happiness.