Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help - I dyed my washing machine red! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-i-dyed-my-washing-machine-red-t202298.html)

SunQuilts 10-04-2012 12:10 PM

Help - I dyed my washing machine red!

I washed several yards of bright red flannel (preshrinking) in my new Maytag top loader. The tub sides are stainless steel but the bottom of the tub is mostly plastic (I think - definitely not metal). It has no agitator. Anyway, the plastic parts are all dyed red and I can't seem to get the color off. I tried running it with just hot water and bleach, and I have tried cleaning it with the tablet I use once a month for that purpose but it is still red. I hate it. I doubt it will come off on any thing I wash but it annoys me just to look at it. Any suggestions for getting rid of the red? Thanks.

Diannia 10-04-2012 12:20 PM

Try contacting the manufacturer?

Diannia

Prism99 10-04-2012 12:25 PM

Since it's in the bottom of the tub, I would probably mix together some hot water, bleach and OxyClean and let it sit in there overnight -- or even 24 hours. If that doesn't work, I'd do the same with a box of dye remover.

NikkiLu 10-04-2012 12:35 PM

No help here - but I also just washed and dried and washed and dried many yards of red flannel and it is now in the bottom of the outdoors cat bed - it never quit bleeding - after 6 different water changes, rinses, etc. Just not worth it to me to ruin whatever else I would have sewn with it - so DH said - just throw it out. Now the cat is really comfy. Don't know if it was mine or a friend of mine's - I inherited some of her stash after she passed away. Rescued it actually - after her DH told me that he had spent the past 2 days burning all of her fabric and sewing things. All I got is what plastic totes that she had in a big closet - he burned all of the bolts that she had in bookcases, etc. Oh yes, I got all of her books - guess that they were hiding from him.

Jingle 10-04-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 5562112)
No help here - but I also just washed and dried and washed and dried many yards of red flannel and it is now in the bottom of the outdoors cat bed - it never quit bleeding - after 6 different water changes, rinses, etc. Just not worth it to me to ruin whatever else I would have sewn with it - so DH said - just throw it out. Now the cat is really comfy. Don't know if it was mine or a friend of mine's - I inherited some of her stash after she passed away. Rescued it actually - after her DH told me that he had spent the past 2 days burning all of her fabric and sewing things. All I got is what plastic totes that she had in a big closet - he burned all of the bolts that she had in bookcases, etc. Oh yes, I got all of her books - guess that they were hiding from him.

I think this was a very good choice.

Jingle 10-04-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts (Post 5562076)
I washed several yards of bright red flannel (preshrinking) in my new Maytag top loader. The tub sides are stainless steel but the bottom of the tub is mostly plastic (I think - definitely not metal). It has no agitator. Anyway, the plastic parts are all dyed red and I can't seem to get the color off. I tried running it with just hot water and bleach, and I have tried cleaning it with the tablet I use once a month for that purpose but it is still red. I hate it. I doubt it will come off on any thing I wash but it annoys me just to look at it. Any suggestions for getting rid of the red? Thanks.

If it doesn't get on anything else, I would just live with it. It will remind you to only buy light colors.

QuiltingVagabond 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser if you can reach the stained parts - we were able to remove the color transfer of a mylar balloon we taped on the front of a golf cart one time - the heat made the color go onto the cart! Magic Eraser to the rescue!

QuiltnNan 10-04-2012 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia (Post 5562089)
Try contacting the manufacturer?

Diannia

this was my first thought, also. they know the composition of the bottom and have probably had other callers with the same/similar dilemma

Cheshirecatquilter 10-04-2012 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5562098)
Since it's in the bottom of the tub, I would probably mix together some hot water, bleach and OxyClean and let it sit in there overnight -- or even 24 hours. If that doesn't work, I'd do the same with a box of dye remover.

DO NOT mix bleach and Oxyclean. It says so on the Oxyclean container. In fact, don't mix bleach with any other chemicals unless they are specifically made to be mixed. Regular bleach can release chlorine gas in some chemical reactions -- not good for living things.

bearisgray 10-04-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 5562112)

Wonder why in the world he was doing that?????