Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Here's what I want to make. What do I need to make it.? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/heres-what-i-want-make-what-do-i-need-make-t119056.html)

dakotamaid 04-26-2011 05:59 PM

Yes, wool would be the warmest,

However, two or three blankets (quilts, comforters, etc) are usually warmer than one blanket, quilt, or comforter, no matter how heavy. It is the air trapped between the layers that help insulate. Just my two cents worth!!:):)

quilter1943 04-26-2011 06:05 PM

Maybe a duvet and make a quilt for the top part of the cover? I've never lived anywhere that is so cold, but I know a lot of Canadians use them. YOu'd have the batting from the quilt and the feathers/down from the duvet.

JulieR 04-26-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Yes, wool would be the warmest,

However, two or three blankets (quilts, comforters, etc) are usually warmer than one blanket, quilt, or comforter, no matter how heavy. It is the air trapped between the layers that help insulate. Just my two cents worth!!:):)

I've found two blankets to be much warmer as well, so when I make my bed I make it with one, and drape the other one over the end of the bed. No lining up for me!

IrelandDragonQuilting 04-26-2011 06:25 PM

I found a down comforter at a goodwill store and plan on using it as a middle for a quilt I am in the process of making. I get cold or hot so quickly and I love down it seems to even it out for me.

brushandthimble 04-26-2011 06:56 PM

I made my son one with Hobbs wool and flannel backing.
Personally I use a feather comforter and 2 quilts. Heat set at 59/60 at night, unless temp is below zero then it is set at 62. Still oil cost WAY to much $ this year.

Radiana 04-26-2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I made my son one with Hobbs wool and flannel backing.
Personally I use a feather comforter and 2 quilts. Heat set at 59/60 at night, unless temp is below zero then it is set at 62. Still oil cost WAY to much $ this year.

Our heater is also set at 59 at night and so I rely on my comforters. I think the way to go is wool batting and just fold up the nice comforter at the end of the bed. The comforter I have now is a shabby chic look. I plan to use the same colors when I make the quilt so they should match.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Everyone here is so nice to help me out.

didi 04-27-2011 03:20 AM

We have a Army Surplus store in my area. You can get the Army Wool Blankets cheaper, might have to buy two. Also, sometimes I find them at thrift stores, goodwill etc.. Just a thought..

ckcowl 04-27-2011 03:57 AM

the wool batts are wonderfull to work with- i have seen quilts made using a warm & natural (cotton) with a dream wool batt--both together-
with wonderful results- and a very warm quilt- also, heavy (denim) fabrics for the top and a flannel back (or all flannel) quilt would be very warm

QuiltswithConvicts 04-27-2011 04:24 AM

Just a thought - what if you had 2 coordinating quilts. One which you would make the bed properly with & the other would be folded, draped at the end of the bed?

Right now, it's a little too warm at night for the quilt, but I'm not ready to store it away for the summer, yet, so I fold it down, & then back on itself at the end of the bed. Looks nice & is there should it get chilly at night. Would work with that 2nd quilt.

This way, you could save some big $$$ by not having to buy wool batting. I am not convinced that the wool is any warmer than other battings, as the pockets between the stitching is what forms the insullating factor of a quilt. Traps warm air there to keep body heat in & cooler, ambient air temps out!

Donna H-M 04-27-2011 05:50 AM

I think fleece is very warm and light weight. I make two tied together for gifts. I also made them for my elderly parents, who keep their thermostat very low in the winter, and they do the trick. Not to be morbid, but Dad wants to be buried with his....lol