Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Home Remedie? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-remedie-t57275.html)

Alu_Rathbone 08-01-2010 08:08 AM

I have pink eye! Or the more fun way to put it... Conjunctivitus.

Are there any home remedies that I can use till I can get to the doctor on Tuesday?

Thanks!

auntiehenno 08-01-2010 08:11 AM

Not that I know of. I have had this a few times in my life and I could not wait until Tues. Do not touch anything, as it is VERY contageous. I have to have ointment, or I would probably scratch my eye out. A warm cloth might help. Good luck pretty lady!

CarrieAnne 08-01-2010 08:22 AM

Ouch! I think you have to see the Dr. to get ready of it!

drivingsusan 08-01-2010 08:43 AM

Take a wash cloth, put under very hot running water, get very wet, ring out, fold in quarters---lay tightly on eye for about 20 minutes or untill cloth gets cold.
Should provide some relief, just do not re-use same cloth before washing.

janRN 08-01-2010 09:06 AM

It's actually a staph infection and you need an antibiotic ointment. If the walk-in clinics aren't open today, use the warm soaks today to keep you from scratching. Don't put your contacts in either eye. See a doc tomorrow. It is real contagious and easy to spread to your other eye. Take care and let us know how it goes.

Alu_Rathbone 08-01-2010 09:09 AM

I won't have money till tues. so I have to wait till then. I found on line that I could use chammomile tea bags to help... so I'm going to try that for now... just t oget through till tues. I'd have to go to the doctor anyways so that I can get something for this cough!

Sadiemae 08-01-2010 09:09 AM

Google Home Remedies for Pink Eye and you will find a lot. Some examples were: Wash eyes with eyebright from a health food store, moistened chamomile tea bag placed on eyes, Treat pink eye with pulsatilla tablets, Cotton balls soaked in boiled saltwater when placed on the eyelids kill the infection, warm(tepid) milk as eyewash or compress, potato grated and placed on eyes for 20 minutes(3 times a day), soak a cloth with aloe vera juice and place on eyes, etc... I have never had it, but this was interesting for the future.

janRN 08-01-2010 09:21 AM

In any other instance I would agree with home remedies but not with your eyes!! Please just use warm soaks until Tuesday and keep from infecting the other eye. I'm sure all those things mentioned have helped in the past but would you want those things in your healthy eyes? If there's and infection I'm just afraid of you damaging your sight.
I work for a doc who is big in the holistic and old time remedies--we use lots of them but never in the eyes.

cherylynne 08-01-2010 09:36 AM

Can you call you doctor and tell him/her your symptoms? Maybe he will call in a perscription for you.

Alu_Rathbone 08-01-2010 09:41 AM

never thought of that thanks!