Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Home Remedies and More (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-remedies-more-t48030.html)

Alu_Rathbone 06-01-2010 08:14 PM

I think we should share here what home remedies we have. Recipies would be a fantastic additions too!

I learned a new one today for cleaning the wood floor.

1/2 cup Vinegar
1 gallon Warm to Hot Water
Sponge Mop

Mix the vinegar and water in a clean mop bucket. Take the mop, place in water and be sure to squeeze the mop 3 times so that it is dry but still wet. Mop floors.

When water gets dirty, change.

If you want a lemony scent, add in a 1/4 cup lemon juice.

This is a good option to use if you are trying to get the smell of cat pee out of your wood floor...

16 0z Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

Mix together and soak area, leave on till completely dry if a white residue appears it can be vacuumed or brushed away.

For Sun Burns

Aloe Vera Plant.

Cut a leaf from the plant and split up the middle... run the wet side on burn. Works better than the Aloe Vera Gel...

redrummy 06-01-2010 08:22 PM

Vinegar is great for a sun burn also. Just wet a towel with it and lay it on burnt area. Will take the sting out of it.

crawford1219 06-01-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by redrummy
Vinegar is great for a sun burn also. Just wet a towel with it and lay it on burnt area. Will take the sting out of it.

I just used this trick tonight-I got sunburned badly today and put vinegar all over me. Within a few minutes the burn was gone-I made the mistake of putting it on my face though and that was the worst burning sensation I have ever felt! Worse than alcohol on an open wound even!

Alu_Rathbone 06-01-2010 08:40 PM

Never ever put peppermint oil below the eyes... I did that once... yeah... NEVER EVER AGAIN! I had to flush my eyes out... and the oil wasn't even in them...

AnnaK 06-01-2010 08:46 PM

Sore throat? Gargle w/ half glass of warm water and 2T. cider vinegar. Very soothing, helps night coughing too.

Weak nails? Rub a garlic clove under your nails. Wear cotton gloves to bed and wash your hands with soap and lemon juice the next morning. the garlic, if used regularly will strengthen your nails.

trueimage 06-02-2010 03:07 AM

Great moisturizer for psoriasis. Can also use as a facial moisturizer or hands or anywhere. Doing wonders for my son's psoriasis and I put it around my eyes.

1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons grated beeswax

Heat olive oil and beeswax until wax melts, but don't boil. Remove from heat and add honey. Let cool, but mix periodically. Spoon into clean jars. (I use babyfood jars.)

CarrieAnne 06-02-2010 03:30 AM

Stung by a bee or a wasp? Rub some mud or regular bleach on the spot. If mud, let it dry, not pretty, but it helps!

momymom 06-02-2010 03:45 AM

test the one for cat pee in a hidden area. It will take the color out of some carpets. My cat likes to go in my sewing room when he gets mad.

dglvr 06-02-2010 03:48 AM

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief...it's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

dglvr 06-02-2010 03:51 AM

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn Dishwashing Liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.