Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hostess Gift? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hostess-gift-t143067.html)

Lynneander 08-06-2011 07:49 AM

I need your suggestions. I am planning a trip to visit my daughter and her family to celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday. During that visit we will also celebrate another family member's birthday. I have been invited to stay (with my daughter & family) at her sister-in-law's home for several days. I would like to bring a small gift to thank the SIL for her hospitality. Since I am flying, space and weight are limited.

Any ideas?

MaryStoaks 08-06-2011 07:54 AM

How about a mug rug with matching mug filled with candy?

JulieR 08-06-2011 07:55 AM

A picture frame? Depending on whose birthday it is and how the SIL is related to that person...

quiltingcandy 08-06-2011 07:56 AM

How about having flowers delivered to her?

greenini 08-06-2011 07:58 AM

We usually try to bring something from our area that is expensive or hard to get in the visited area. For instance we like to bring maple syrup from NE to our southern friends. Or we used to bring lobsters down years ago when we flew.

In your case, if you have the time, energy and interest you could do a small quilt, table topper or wall hanging with Kokkopelli or cactus or some other western theme. Or how about a string of chili's (maybe too fragile?).

Peckish 08-06-2011 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd avoid any kind of food items - I've been told a bottle of wine is a good hostess gift, but what if they're in recovery? Same goes for candies, what if they're watching their weight, or are diabetic? You'd probably be safe with a lovely food basket, but that might be impractical to transport.

What's always worked for me is a "gourmet" soap & lotion set. I've picked them up from Bath & Bodyworks and I LOVE the Williams-Sonoma products. (The pink grapefruit scented one is amazing!)

patski 08-06-2011 08:31 AM

A table runner? Something that is Southwestern to remember you by??

cjr 08-06-2011 08:39 AM

Flowers are always a good choice. Since you quilt so beautifully, I'm sure they would be thrilled with a seasonal reversable table topper or wall hanging. Seasonal because it does not depend on house colors. Potholders?
Something from Az like cactus jelly, a sand painting, a small Indian rug.
have fun.

Linda71 08-06-2011 08:42 AM

A lady I know makes up several pillow cases and keeps them handy to take when she travels. When she leaves she just puts one on a pillow.

craftybear 08-06-2011 12:27 PM

mug rug, table runners, purse, reversible table runner, tote bag

Originally Posted by Lynneander
I need your suggestions. I am planning a trip to visit my daughter and her family to celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday. During that visit we will also celebrate another family member's birthday. I have been invited to stay (with my daughter & family) at her sister-in-law's home for several days. I would like to bring a small gift to thank the SIL for her hospitality. Since I am flying, space and weight are limited.

Any ideas?