Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How "God Bless America Should be Sung".... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-god-bless-america-should-sung-t210032.html)

Minnisewta 01-06-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning (Post 5764041)
God Bless America is not a song that the average person with the average voice can sing. Kate Smith's voice is beautiful. One of the reasons they have professional singers at games to lead the singing is that it is so hard to sing. Proud To Be An American is a much easier song to sing because it does not hit the high notes. Please do not equate not having a professional singing voice with being un American. And a song like Proud To Be An American is Inclussive, not Exclussive.

I don't think you hear God Bless America song at that many games but you do hear the National Anthem song and is very hard to sing. Do you have the 2 songs mixed up? A lot of singers now think they should "put their own spin" on the National Anthem and I think they do it a disservice. Very few do a good job when they sing it. I wish they would just sing it the way it was written. I have no idea what the song Proud to be an American sounds like.
Just my 2cents worth.
I knew that Kate Smith was associated with God Bless America but I never knew why, thanks for the history lesson.

Minnisewta 01-06-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Minnisewta (Post 5767119)
I don't think you hear God Bless America song at that many games but you do hear the National Anthem song and is very hard to sing. Do you have the 2 songs mixed up? A lot of singers now think they should "put their own spin" on the National Anthem and I think they do it a disservice. Very few do a good job when they sing it. I wish they would just sing it the way it was written. I have no idea what the song Proud to be an American sounds like.
Just my 2cents worth.
I knew that Kate Smith was associated with God Bless America but I never knew why, thanks for the history lesson.

Oh, yes I do know what proud to be an american sounds like

topstitch 01-06-2013 01:55 PM

Ljptexas, I do hope you write professionally. I had dust in my eyes before even started the video.

fran624 01-09-2013 05:35 AM

Thank you for posting this Always brings tears to my eyes In fact any of our American Songs brings on those tears.

Country1 01-09-2013 07:04 AM

Bought tears to my eyes as well! Thank you for sharing the song and the history lesson. I just learned alot about a wonderful song and Lady.
Thank you!
Country1

Suzette316 01-09-2013 09:54 AM

That was beautiful! I still have a tear in my eye . . .

Gerbie 01-12-2013 05:52 AM

I like Edie can't get through listening to or singing any of these 3 without tears and a big lump in my throat. Such a beautiful song and loved the history lesson. I agree with pensy dutch also anything today at our schools with the word God is considered a crime it seems. So very sad we cannot get this modern generation to know and realize that God is still incharge of everything and should be the center of our worlds, perhaps if this were so we would have a better and stronger nation as we have had in the past. Thanks again for the great post. Gerbie

running1 01-12-2013 06:49 AM

LOVE this!!! Thank you for sharing this... I didn't know the story. God Bless America!!!

nana2 01-13-2013 08:00 PM

This song was sung daily along with the pledge of allegence when I was in elementary school in the 1940's. An aunt in my husband's family told about being at a prayer meeting on a week night when someone came in and announced that WWII had ended. The group stood and sang - God Bless America. I have taught my Grand kids how to sing this song. Also, I am glad to know that DGD was in an elementary school that said the pledge each morning, then had several patrotic songs played over the P A system.