Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How I put arrows and text on pictures.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-i-put-arrows-text-pictures-t211109.html)

Spudgm 01-15-2013 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5788322)
:hunf: I discovered very quickly that the downloaded Irfan came with spyware and malware. It took my online computer support people about an hour to scan and remove the "bad boys". Perhaps if I had been a little more computer savvy my computer would not have become infected.

Thanks for the heads up.
I will stick to paint...

Caroline S 01-15-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5788353)
FYI: I use "Paint" to add text and lines to my pictures. "Paint" has been available on all Windows machines that I have ever worked on (no downloads necessary). If you need some help in using this program I will sure try to walk you through it.

I know, silly me. I am always willing to learn something new, usually the hard way LOL. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing sometimes. Thanks for the offer Judy. I may "play" with both programs to see which one has the easiest learning curve.:o

SteveH 01-15-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5788322)
:hunf: I discovered very quickly that the downloaded Irfan came with spyware and malware. It took my online computer support people about an hour to scan and remove the "bad boys". Perhaps if I had been a little more computer savvy my computer would not have become infected.

WOW! I am SO sorry that this happened. I will look into this and see what is up. PLEASE do not download this until I have had a chance to check this out.

and yes, the "paint dialog" in Irfanview is the same one used on the Paint program that is included in Windows. The Irvanview app just offers more features.

SteveH 01-15-2013 01:51 PM

Ok, I have just finished looking into this.

Here is the Wiki on the software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IrfanView

Here is one review of the issue:
latest version of the utterly brilliant freeware imaging tool. When you install it, it now asks if you want to install the Google Toolbar – a BHO for Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer which lets you search using Google. Some sources reckon this is spyware, and indeed Spybot Search & Destroy will detect and remove it, but others say it isn’t.
Although I have previously withdrawn endorsements for programs after they became spyware-infested, I will make an exception here, since:
----- I can’t be sure that it really is spyware
----- Removing it using its uninstaller is painless and effective
----- It is optional (although ticked by default)
----- Irfanview is so damn useful

Here is another review of this subject.
""Irfanview itself is not malware, but when Irfanview began optionally installing the Google Toolbar with it's executable installations, many of us raised eyebrows. I am very leery of corporate toolbars, such as the Google Toolbar.
Upon installing Irfanview, you can opt to not install the Google Toolbar. Irfanview had long been thought of as one of the best Image Viewers available, but in past years it's become somewhat bloated. The association with the Google Toolbar was the straw that broke some long time users backs and caused them to look for replacement software.

In that light, check out a very fine freeware image viewer and manipulator programs that rival Irfanview:
Faststone ImageViewer Http://www.faststone.org/""

I am not sure if the corruption came from CNET or what but I have downloaded the file directly and have scanned it myself. I installed it on a clean PC here and did a series of scans. The only thing that Irfanview tried to install on this system was the Google toolbar which I unchecked during installation so it would not.

Again,I really apologize for this issue and if anyone would like to try it but would rather not risk spyware, PM me and I will shoot you a direct copy.

Caroline S 01-15-2013 02:07 PM

CNET was the place I downloaded it from. There were so many screens to choose from that it did get confusing. Not being a computer "geek" did not help either. I likely unchecked the Google box as I already use Google Chrome. So the program must have CHOSEN Babylon which was the problem. This is one time that having a computer repair subscription has paid for itself.