Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to price fabric for garage sale? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-price-fabric-garage-sale-t138733.html)

sew cornie 07-19-2011 08:35 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. I took another look through it and think I may make up a few small bundles based on type - ie. juvenile, seasonal, general. Those would all be the smaller pieces. I'll label the bigger pieces separately. Whatever doesn't sell, then I can post it in the Classifieds here on the Board. Thanks for all the help!

And for those who asked, I'm in Beaverton.

BETTY62 07-19-2011 08:44 PM

Wish I lived in your area. I love garage sales.

sew cornie 07-20-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Yes, Us in Oregon would love to know where you live. If you are close we could come and help make sure the right people bought your fabric. :) Do you have any Snoopy fabric or turtle fabric?

I have a small piece of Snoopy fabric. It's on a light blue background with Snoopy playing soccer. Maybe a 1/2 yd. No turtles.

Furza Flyin 07-20-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Yes, Us in Oregon would love to know where you live. If you are close we could come and help make sure the right people bought your fabric. :) Do you have any Snoopy fabric or turtle fabric?

I have a small piece of Snoopy fabric. It's on a light blue background with Snoopy playing soccer. Maybe a 1/2 yd. No turtles.

Sweet...I am sending you a pm...Thanks

Sharon D 02-26-2019 10:16 AM

Hi, not to hijack this thread, but I have the same issue. My mother died a while ago and was a quilter. We have several (7 or 8) large plastic totes of quality quilting fabric (some with the tags still on) that she bought at a local fabric shop (she would never have shopped at a JoAnn's or a chain store like that). I took what I wanted, but need to sell the rest. The idea of measuring out all of that seems overwhelming. Should I sort it by color? By theme (baby, animal, nature...) How should I price it? I sorted the scrappy bits (anything under a yard) and gave those away for free. Any help would be appreciated. And if anyone's curious, I'm in western Massachusetts. Any guidelines would be helpful.

quilt1950 02-26-2019 05:36 PM

I went to one very organized fabric sale. All the fabric was neatly folded in boxes so that you could see the fold, and get an idea for size and color. Empty boxes were nearby to put fabric that a shopper pulled out and decided not to buy. The sellers could then replace the fabric neatly in a box. Smaller pieces were folded similar to fat quarters, and displayed in smaller boxes. Sorry, I can't remember how small scraps were handled. Everything was sold by weight.

Quiltah Mama 02-26-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon D (Post 8216712)
Hi, not to hijack this thread, but I have the same issue. My mother died a while ago and was a quilter. We have several (7 or 8) large plastic totes of quality quilting fabric (some with the tags still on) that she bought at a local fabric shop (she would never have shopped at a JoAnn's or a chain store like that). I took what I wanted, but need to sell the rest. The idea of measuring out all of that seems overwhelming. Should I sort it by color? By theme (baby, animal, nature...) How should I price it? I sorted the scrappy bits (anything under a yard) and gave those away for free. Any help would be appreciated. And if anyone's curious, I'm in western Massachusetts. Any guidelines would be helpful.

I had an opportunity a few years ago, I bought a sewing machine off Craigslist (my first Janome actually) and while talkiing with the woman, she shared with me, she had a storage unit full of the rest of the sewing stuff. It was her mom's sewing machine on Craigslist. I offered to buy the whole unit, sight unseen. The deal worked out and my quilting neighbor and I split the cost and sorted everything, taking what we wanted, donating what we didn't want to a worthy cause. The family was thrilled to sell it as one unit, no hassle of a yard sale, Craigslist or even sorting or measuring. And my neighbor and I were thrilled.

zozee 02-26-2019 10:09 PM

Sharon, I have had great success selling on this Board (in the Items for Sale or Trade forum, which has qualification guidelines). My suggestion would be to sell by the large, flat rate priority box full. If it were me, I'd make each box a theme since you have so much.

1. Juvenile/baby
2. Brights and Bolds
3. Fall colors
4. Holiday
5. Batiks
6. Masculine
7. Mixed

Make a stack going to each box and take a picture of the fabrics laid out so people can see what you have. Label the stack in your photo for easy ID (Box 1, Box 2, etc). No measuring involved--just a full box. If you want it go fast, I'd say $40 tops, including shipping. People could PM you with the box number(s) they want. Some people like to do Paypal, others personal check. That's up to you.

betthequilter 02-27-2019 01:40 PM

I knew a family of four sisters who all quilted. Two of the sisters passed away within a year of each other. The two remaining sisters kept the fabric and quilting notions that they wanted. The rest was sold at a yard sale. I can't tell you all the quilters who were at the yard sale that day. I bought a lot. These quilters only bought good fabric and were wonderful quilters. Every time I look at the fabric that I purchased, I think of them and how much fun we had together. If you "get the word out" about a yard sale, quilters will come from miles away.