Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to price fabric for garage sale? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-price-fabric-garage-sale-t138733.html)

sew cornie 07-19-2011 09:37 AM

I've not bought nor sold fabric at a garage sale before. I'm having a garage sale this weekend and would like to include some fabric. I don't have much - most pieces are 1/8yd up to 1yd. Some are closer to 2yds. Nearly all of those have been cut into and are leftovers from other projects or have been handed down to me by someone else. I also have a couple of pieces around 5-7yds. that have never been cut into. And I have one panel that looks like a map of the world. All have been prewashed.

Is it best to bag the small pieces and sell as a scrap bag? Clear plastic bag that's sealed to keep the fabric clean, or just a paper bag that people can rummage through? Should I lump everything together regardless of size? Keep everything separate and sell by weight using a kitchen scale?

What is common practice? What would appeal to you as a buyer or what has been successful for you as a seller?

blossom808 07-19-2011 09:42 AM

I think in plastic bags. People could drop it. Have dirty hands. You could separate it, but Keep all small pieces together as scrap. Or put all together for one price. Just feel it out and see what people want. Good Luck.

donnajean 07-19-2011 09:44 AM

Use the plastic bags so they can see the fabric without handling it. If you don't know that is quilt shop quality, & for just scraps price lower.

dreamer2009 07-19-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
I've not bought nor sold fabric at a garage sale before. I'm having a garage sale this weekend and would like to include some fabric. I don't have much - most pieces are 1/8yd up to 1yd. Some are closer to 2yds. Nearly all of those have been cut into and are leftovers from other projects or have been handed down to me by someone else. I also have a couple of pieces around 5-7yds. that have never been cut into. And I have one panel that looks like a map of the world. All have been prewashed.

Is it best to bag the small pieces and sell as a scrap bag? Clear plastic bag that's sealed to keep the fabric clean, or just a paper bag that people can rummage through? Should I lump everything together regardless of size? Keep everything separate and sell by weight using a kitchen scale?

What is common practice? What would appeal to you as a buyer or what has been successful for you as a seller?

one of the best sales I have gone to was done by scale weight.
the lady sold out of over 50 cases of fabric by noon.
I would do that for the smaller stuff but price full yardage according to what you want for it.
if you are going to use bags use which ever is cheapest
in other words don't throw money away
to bag the product.
where in Oregon are you ?

Glassquilt 07-19-2011 09:51 AM

Pin a piece of paper with the yardage to the larger pieces. Quilters can use any size. Somebody who sews clothing may find enough for a blouse or a child's outfit.

Furza Flyin 07-19-2011 10:14 AM

Yes, Us in Oregon would love to know where you live. If you are close we could come and help make sure the right people bought your fabric. :) Do you have any Snoopy fabric or turtle fabric?

ptquilts 07-19-2011 10:21 AM

or you could sell it on the QB and you know it would go to good homes!!

bearisgray 07-19-2011 10:28 AM

Depends on how badly you want it gone.

And how much people around you have been pricing things.

I think it would be better if you put the scrappy stuff in clear plastic bags and made it a "take it all" deal.

I went to one garage sale where the sellers STAPLED the price tags to the items.

You might get more for your stuff if you sold it on the QB.

annyroony2 07-19-2011 01:11 PM

You don't have to sell it, you could just send it to me. LOL

IAmCatOwned 07-19-2011 02:36 PM

My experience is that unless it is fabric from an actual quilt store, it won't sell priced more than $1 a yard. Some exceptions for specialty fabric.

Occasionally, a quilter purges fabric around here and usually prices it at $2 a yard (quilt shop fabric) and it goes. Be strict. If they try to bargain you down on the quilt shop fabric, just say no. Someone else will come along knowing what a bargain $2 a yard is.

I personally have found that non-quiltshop Christmas fabric is the hardest to sell at a garage sale. I don't know why - I've never been able to sell any, even at 50 cents a yard. However, if you have a LOT of fabric, be sure to list your sale on Craigslist and include photos of fabrics laid out. You will get a lot more fabric buying customers showing up.