Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to wash your clothes (in case you don't know) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-wash-your-clothes-case-you-dont-know-t143381.html)

Eddie 08-07-2011 11:14 AM

The following is directions for washing clothes that a Kentucky grandmother gave to a new bride many years ago, transcribed exactly as written. We live a pretty good life these days. :D

1: Bilt fire in backyard to heet kettle of rain water.
2: Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3: Shave one hole cake of lie soa put in boilin’ water
4: Sort things - make 3 piles. 1 pile white, 1 pile cullord, 1 pile work britches and rags.
5: To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with bilin water.
6: Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and bile, then rub colored, don’t bile, just rench and starch.
7: Take white things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then rench, blew and starch.
8: Hang old rags on fence.
9: Spread tea towels on grass.
10: Pore rench water in flour bed.
11: Scrub porch with hot soapy water. Turn tubs upside down.
12: Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count blessins.

virtualbernie 08-07-2011 11:17 AM

Whew! Made me tired just reading it! We certainly are lucky these days!

nance-ell 08-07-2011 11:18 AM

Wow! It feels like I'm working on my family history! We really do take our conveniences for granted. I, for one, am thankful for my modern washing machine!

Prettiptibbs 08-07-2011 11:21 AM

Well that was tiring! I will never complain again about my laundry piles!

marknfran 08-07-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
The following is directions for washing clothes that a Kentucky grandmother gave to a new bride many years ago, transcribed exactly as written. We live a pretty good life these days. :D

1: Bilt fire in backyard to heet kettle of rain water.
2: Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3: Shave one hole cake of lie soa put in boilin’ water
4: Sort things - make 3 piles. 1 pile white, 1 pile cullord, 1 pile work britches and rags.
5: To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with bilin water.
6: Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and bile, then rub colored, don’t bile, just rench and starch.
7: Take white things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then rench, blew and starch.
8: Hang old rags on fence.
9: Spread tea towels on grass.
10: Pore rench water in flour bed.
11: Scrub porch with hot soapy water. Turn tubs upside down.
12: Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count blessins.

How blessed we are!!!!!! :thumbup:

Millstream Mom 08-07-2011 11:35 AM

I'm ready to brew that cup of tea after reading that! We sure have it so much easier these days!

auntmag 08-07-2011 11:53 AM

This is the way my mother did the wash when I was a kid.

blueangel 08-07-2011 04:01 PM

Brings back memories.

amma 08-07-2011 06:23 PM

Makes me ashamed of when I complain about having to do my laundry :oops: