Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I DON"T have to buy zuchinni.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-don-t-have-buy-zuchinni-t196143.html)

Helen S 07-30-2012 01:52 PM

Slice lengthwise, scoop out the seeds so you have "boats", place in a baking pan, stuff with your favorite meatloaf mixture, top with leftover spaghetti sauce (or canned), sprinkle with shredded cheddar and bake til meatloaf is done. Call family and friends, have someone bring a salad and someone else bring garlic bread. Enjoy!

patchsamkim 07-30-2012 04:12 PM

I use my grandmother's old meat grinder to grind up my zucchini...works great...and then I put it into freezer bags with a couple of cups or whatever my favorite recipes call for.

nycquilter 07-30-2012 04:29 PM

My friend gifted me a book of ways to preserve vegetables without canning or freezing. One recipe is for lacto-fermentation. You shred the zucchini and layer it with salt in a jar--2-1/2 tsp. salt to 2-1/2 pounds of zucchini. You then use it as it is in salads. I haven't tasted it yet but last week I put some up to try. Also, you could slice it, string it on thread, and hang to dry. Then you store it in plastic bags and can use it in soup or stews. Another way I like to make it is by slicing, egging, then breading and frying. I freeze this and it is an easy supplement to a dinner. For example, you can prepare it like eggplant parmigiana using zucchini instead of eggplant.

meanmom 07-31-2012 04:04 AM

Don't let them get so big. They taste much better and are less watery when smaller. I cut them up and freeze them. They are good in vegetable soup, casseroles etc. I also put it in the blender and liquify it and freeze it in zip lock bags. I use it instead of water or milk in bread and cake recipes. I also use it as part of the broth in soups. It will make your homemade bread a really pretty color, it turs it yellow like egg bread. I figure I am sneaking in a little bit of vegetables with no one knowing it.

TammyB 07-31-2012 08:16 AM

For zucchini bread, I shred the fresh zucchini and put 2 cup measurements in freezer bags and freeze. You can also pull them out and add to soups, spaghetti sauce and lasagnas throughout the year. No one will even know it's in there.

bibi 07-31-2012 08:48 AM

You can use them either cut up or pureed to pulp in many recipes. Add them to your pancake/waffle mix; add them toscrambled eggs, hamburger dishes, etc. Of course if you can harvest them smaller they are superbfried (sliced) with onions in olive oil, or with tomatoes, sautéed without anyshortening; stuffed with meat and rice. using a small knife or spoon to scoop out the pulp. Place the stuffed vegetables in a pot add water and cook on low heat until all ingredients are done. But you can also stuff them as wassuggested sliced in half like boats. Any stuffing will do including mushroom orbread stuffing. This way you can bake them in oven and springle with cheese.
My favorite way to prepare them is pureed in the blender and then used in zucchinichocolate bread. I use twice as much zucchinis as the typical recipe asks forand add absolutely no shortening of any kind. I just go by looks of the batter(very soft but not running) and add cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, allspiceand cocoa, ground nuts, oat bran, flax seed, 4 eggs, sugar, unbleached flour,baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and chocolate chips. I always make 2loaves at the same time, one for eating and one for freezing. Regarding thebatter amount of ingredients is determined on how batter looks and feels. Iagree with others chop up or puree your zucchinis and freeze for later use.Zucchini bread is the best, moist, slightly crunchy, great flavor and most ofall for a sweet not that bad for you.

carolynjo 07-31-2012 10:04 AM

I also shred and freeze the zucchini. I make bread, pies, and stuff them(not frozen for stuffing.)

fayeberry 07-31-2012 11:20 AM

Consider contributing to local food bank. Most welcome gifts of fresh fruits and vegetables.

moooommmmy 07-31-2012 08:34 PM

Thank you all for your awesome ideas. Was really just looking for a quick way to freeze it all as I am planning to keep as much as I can for myself. At my job I have no trouble getting rid of it, but I really just want to freeze alot for winter soups. Thank you all also for the great recipes can't wait to try them all, I did grate some for bread and want to make the cookies someone posted earlier last week, and yes I have been sneaking them in other foods. Again thanks a lot for all your comments. Take care and God bless.

moooommmmy 07-31-2012 08:36 PM

Do you have any specific measurements for the bread? This sounds so good!