Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I don't get New Year's Day being such a big holiday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-dont-get-new-years-day-being-such-big-holiday-t86621.html)

BellaBoo 12-31-2010 06:59 PM

I guess it marks another year the world made it but I don't get the big holiday hoopla. Most local government here was closed Thursday and Friday. Most businesses closed at noon Friday. I need a prescription filled and the pharmacy was closed today (Friday). New Year's Eve has become dangerous in my area. Drunk drivers, teens out of control, so many fireworks the police can't make it to every complaint in neighborhoods. There is some good in it if you need extra cash. When I was divorced I use to make enough money baby sitting on New Year's Eve to make my house payment. DD is charging $40 per child to stay overnight at her house and she said she will have more then enough to pay a year's car insurance which is due in Jan. :-D

amandasgramma 12-31-2010 07:01 PM

I think it's a holiday that started as a way to get thru the long hard winters......or maybe by parents that are thrilled to have the Christmas holiday over with.

Candace 12-31-2010 07:02 PM

I'm with you BellaBoo.

craftybear 12-31-2010 07:04 PM

Happy New Year to everyone

Maride 12-31-2010 07:06 PM

I don't get it either. I asked my daughter not to come home tonight. Is too crowded. She has to come by Times Square and is ridiculous the amount of people on the street to see a light ball drop and the majority of them will not even see it. She is much safer staying home. I was at Penn Station at 6:00PM and couldn't get out of there fast enough. The trains were packed. I needed to go to the pharmacy after, no way! Everything closed. Everything was open on Christmas Eve!

knlsmith 12-31-2010 07:16 PM

I agree. DH n I went to eat at outback and were gonna go to mall and do a little shopping (anniversary tomorrow) and the mall was closed already!! Not even 7PM!!

geckogirl 12-31-2010 07:26 PM

My DH and I rented a movie from redbox (Prince of Persia) and while he is getting over a cold and I am coming down with a cold we had cheese and crackers for dinner and have fireworks to shoot later and even have sparkling white grape juice to drink with each other at Midnight :)

He has to be at work at 6am tomorrow morning ... soooo yeah ...

ginnie6 12-31-2010 07:28 PM

we're not big on the holiday either......dh is already asleep and the only reason I am up is the kids wants to watch the ball drop and they have to do that in our bedroom cause its the only tv with an antenna. The older girls both went out to hang out at friends houses tonight and both are sleeping over so they don't have to drive later tonight. I do remember years though where I would have thought I'd died if I had to stay home for New year's eve....

frugalfabrics 12-31-2010 07:28 PM

nothing special here for us either. I went to watch night service at church, ate some dinner afterwards and came back home.

knlsmith 12-31-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by geckogirl
My DH and I rented a movie from redbox (Prince of Persia) and while he is getting over a cold and I am coming down with a cold we had cheese and crackers for dinner and have fireworks to shoot later and even have sparkling white grape juice to drink with each other at Midnight :)

He has to be at work at 6am tomorrow morning ... soooo yeah ...

I loved that movie. Jake G. Is very easy on th eyes! *giggle*