Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I got away with it all :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-got-away-all-t132796.html)

Maia B 06-24-2011 07:48 AM

So my kids are in Africa for pretty much the WHOLE summer, with family. I can't go, must work. I worry constantly about them and miss them too much already. We made Rockford sock monkeys together the day before they left. I had wanted to make I Spy quilts with/for them, but we ran out of time. My little boy took a small quilt I made him, with a built-in zipper pocket for treasures, but my older son didn't have a small quilt to take. But I found out at the last minute that a friend is going today. I stayed up all night making a 40" x 48" I Spy with 8" blocks. Backed with flannel only, no batting. Used the inside-out method, no binding. I didn't prewash, mixed different quality/texture fabrics, used unwashed FLANNEL (which I don't recommend), and quilted shadowing the seams (so 7.5" apart). I washed it with color catchers, which came out as white as when they went in, and dried it. I really expected a mess from not having washed the flannel, but it looks totally fine. No time for a label, wrote it with a laundry pen. So I broke all the usual rules to get it done, and am waiting for the friend to pick it up. Also sending some toys, treats, books, and comfort items, but I just know my big boy is going to be very pleased with it. Closest thing to a hug I can send. Thx for listening :)

jamsbuying 06-24-2011 07:50 AM

Good for you!!! He will LOVE the quilt.

amma 06-24-2011 07:52 AM

Awww he is going to love his surprise quilt :D:D:D

alikat110 06-24-2011 08:07 AM

What a wonderful thing. I know he will love it.

CoyoteQuilts 06-24-2011 08:17 AM

Rules? There are RULES? Not here usually....

Great hug long distance!

suebee 06-24-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
So my kids are in Africa for pretty much the WHOLE summer, with family. I can't go, must work. I worry constantly about them and miss them too much already. We made Rockford sock monkeys together the day before they left. I had wanted to make I Spy quilts with/for them, but we ran out of time. My little boy took a small quilt I made him, with a built-in zipper pocket for treasures, but my older son didn't have a small quilt to take. But I found out at the last minute that a friend is going today. I stayed up all night making a 40" x 48" I Spy with 8" blocks. Backed with flannel only, no batting. Used the inside-out method, no binding. I didn't prewash, mixed different quality/texture fabrics, used unwashed FLANNEL (which I don't recommend), and quilted shadowing the seams (so 7.5" apart). I washed it with color catchers, which came out as white as when they went in, and dried it. I really expected a mess from not having washed the flannel, but it looks totally fine. No time for a label, wrote it with a laundry pen. So I broke all the usual rules to get it done, and am waiting for the friend to pick it up. Also sending some toys, treats, books, and comfort items, but I just know my big boy is going to be very pleased with it. Closest thing to a hug I can send. Thx for listening :)

Ahhh, what a good Mom :)

Lynneander 06-24-2011 08:28 AM

The only rule I know you followed is to make a quilt full of love ...

luvTooQuilt 06-24-2011 08:32 AM

Awe... brought a tear to my eye... Glad you could send your 'hug'...

quiltpd 06-24-2011 08:50 AM

So sorry you couldn't go with them.Hope they bring back lots of pictures. Know your son will love his "HUG".

QuiltnNan 06-24-2011 09:11 AM

congrats on finishing on time. he'll really be surprised!