Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I got my granddaughter a sewing machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-got-my-granddaughter-sewing-machine-t189554.html)

jbud2 05-20-2012 04:34 PM

I got my granddaughter a sewing machine!

I had it in my mind that I would get my granddaughter a real sewing machine, used, somewhere this summer. She is going to be 5 and likes to 'help' me sew. She sits on my lap and guides the fabric thru as I operate the pedal, slowly. She has a 'toy' lap top that is frustrating - small screen, batteries, black and white -a real toy! So I figured instead of a toy sewing machine, I'd get her a real one. And Saturday at a community yard sale, I found one for $15. A Brother, that does have straight and zig-zag, just the basics. It took me awhile to get it threaded and the tension adjusted. But it works. I can tell a big difference from my Elna and this little Brother but I won't have to worry about the batteries dying on her, and it makes real stitches. Pre-school will soon be over and Grams' Sewing School will be in session.

jollyquilting 05-20-2012 05:16 PM

What a good idea. I love my Elna too,by the way, I also have a Janome, and cant decide which I like the best.

AuntieD 05-20-2012 05:39 PM

Great idea. She will be a pro in no time. Be sure to post photos of her creations.

maryb119 05-20-2012 06:24 PM

Great idea to get her a real machine. I think beginning sewers become discouraged when the machine they are working on frustrates them or doesn't work right. She will learn way more on this machine and love spending the time with you.

Jammin' Jane 05-21-2012 01:15 PM

Start 'em young!!!! She'll be showing us her quilt soon!!! Way to go, Grandma!! :)

miriam 05-22-2012 02:42 AM

Sew-classic has finger guards.

sap 05-22-2012 04:41 AM

you are right on the money! as a child I had a SM that done the chain stitch, didn't take me long to figure out that hand sewing far out did that chain stitch! my hand stitching didn't pull out as easy.

Caswews 05-22-2012 05:41 AM

wohooooooo !!!! great idea Grandma .. the older grand children have a sewing machine each to sew on ... The
youngest one isn't interested yet in sewing .. so many one day !

Suz 05-22-2012 06:37 AM

My daughter was always at my machine years ago. She is/was a natural to sewing. When she was 8 we purchased her a machine of her own for Christmas and she used it all the way to college. She has graduated now to a more sophiscated machine and owns a Bernina 730E after several Vikings. Her first grade school picture is of her wearing a red corduroy jumper she made. Yes, it included a zipper at the back.

In the past, I was a 4H leader and taught very young ones (8+) to quilt. At first I had to be at the machine when they stitched, but once I could see they were following my rules about hand placement, etc., they were on there own. Teaching children is a real treasure as you see them progress. I had a 13 yo who could hand quilt better than I ever did. Her work is outstanding and she has the ribbons to prove same. -- It has always been my motto, "Each One, Teach One (or more"). God has given us a talent and we must share it.

Neesie 05-22-2012 06:46 AM

Congratulations, to your granddaughter! Wish I could find such a great bargain!