Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I got a raise - sort of (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-got-raise-sort-t137232.html)

PrettyCurious 07-13-2011 03:02 AM

Where I work, is once again under going what I have nick-named "The freak parade" when there's an opening, and the boss hires people.
We [3 people] come in, take care of the animals, clean, feed, and then clean up on the way out so that everything is back in it's place. The boss has 3 rooms of his house dedicated to these animals, which he takes care of before we arrive and after, and because it's his house everything must be done precisely. It takes about a week to train someone the basics. All of us work together to get the job done. If you get your stuff done sooner you go help the others. It's a joint effort, - we all arrive and leave at the same time, get to leave as soon as we're done, and still get paid for 3 hours.

9 out of 10 don't last a week. The 10th one usually doesn't last a month. The boss is a bit vague about the job in the hiring ad, so even the calls are a bit of a freak show.
The current job opening says the hours are from 10am to 1pm, and to call after 3pm.
Here's what we got:
One caller called at 9:30 PM a week after the ad ran, wanting to know if the job was still available. Boss said yes, are you working now? Guy says he is layed off. Boss asks if there is any chance of getting called back. Guy says no.
So bascially Guy sits on his hiney all day, week after week, finds an old ad, and calls at 9:30 PM?

A lady called on behalf of her deaf daughter. Boss asks how we can comminicate, and lady says we can text her.

Another lady called, works for school, so in the fall, she wants to be able to work after 1pm. She couldn't understand how that would be a problem.

Another lady called on behalf of her son. He wants to work now, and leave in the fall for school.
um, if he is too lazy to call . . . .

So finally, because the boss has other things going on, and really wants the weekends to be filled with stable, predictable, effiecient people, he offered us a deal:
If we work Fri, Sat, Sun, minimum, we will get one weeks vacation pay every 6 months, based on our avg pay duirng that time. We can take off or work but we will get that extra check.
I used to work Sun-Wed. but now I guess I will be doing Fri-Tues.

Will work for fabric!

alikat110 07-13-2011 03:06 AM

Sounds good! But I did weekends for 5 years. Sometimes hard not to have that time!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 07-13-2011 04:37 AM

What a story!!! Geezzzzzzzzzz :)
Love that kitty by the way!

PrettyCurious 07-13-2011 05:11 AM

I really oughta write these down.

One person called at 12:30pm [ad says call after 3pm]

He is usually hiring for a shift that includes a weekend day, and actually specifys the days he is hiring for in the ad - trying to make it so that everyone gets at least one weekend day off . . .

Many people have called saying they don't do weekends. [that's why we got the offer of vacation pay]

These critters have been previously abused, and although esentially nursed back to health, many have emotional scars.

One lady told Boss, she could heal them, and began humming incantations on the phone.

One person came in for interview, and poked her finger into the first cage she saw

One person got lost on the way there and called. When asked where she was, she said on a road next to a fence . . .

redvette54 07-13-2011 05:38 AM

Sounds like an interesting job. I work with animals too and we have had our share of freaks apply for work. I'd like to hear more about your job, I'm a pet groomer.

Kkimberlee 07-13-2011 05:41 AM

I would much rather work weekends and have time off during the week. much easier to get the shopping done. {joann's cutting counter is less busy on a tuesday morning, LOL}

Candace 07-13-2011 07:37 AM

Very interesting ad applicants!

PrettyCurious 07-13-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Very interesting ad applicants!

I have been known to say that I think Boss puts an ad in the paper for the sole purpose of entertainment.

blueangel 07-13-2011 07:15 PM

Sounds good.