Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I got a special treat today! (Not quilting related) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-got-special-treat-today-not-quilting-related-t133148.html)

Charlee 06-25-2011 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me start with some history...I do a lot of genealogy, and had sent a message to someone on Ancestry.com that had post the name of a man that was my grandmother's half brother, who we didn't know existed until I started working on this branch of the tree. I was anxious to find out more about him, because of divorce, etc., we knew nothing. A couple of months went by with no answer, and then one day I got a message on Facebook asking if I was the same Charlee Turner that had contacted her about her grandfather Burt? Yes!!
I thought her name looked familiar, so I clicked on her name for her profile...and while it was limited information (we weren't friends yet) I saw that she was from Bend, OR. I knew then that I already knew this lady!! She had been a customer of ours here at the storage facility for 3 or 4 years!! Just had seen them the month before when they rented a Uhaul...we just didn't know then that we are cousins!!
Today, her mom came to visit, and they came to see me at work! Her mom would have been my mama's cousin...we had a wonderful chat!!

Do you see a family resemblance?

Me, Jo Anne, Carolyn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216743[/ATTACH]

loves_2_quilt 06-25-2011 05:13 PM

:) for you

AFQSinc 06-25-2011 05:14 PM

That is a neat story! Funny how things work out sometimes.

blueangel 06-25-2011 05:15 PM

That's wonderful

erstan947 06-25-2011 05:15 PM

How fun is that!!! I love ancestry.com. I have gotten info about my great grandmother that I never knew anything about. Thanks for sharing your story!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-25-2011 05:15 PM

Wow, Charlee, what a coincidence, huh???
Glad you found each other!! :D

sewgull 06-25-2011 05:16 PM

Great to find lost family. I see the resemblance in you girls. You never know who are talking to or about.

Charlee 06-25-2011 05:48 PM

It's all really cool...my mom's family was rather....uhmmm...atypical! ;)

Mom's grandmother and grandfather were divorced, and he remarried Carolyn's grandmother...I don't think even my grandmother was aware of that marriage or the son that was born of it. I know my mother didn't know about it, or about Burt, who would have been her half-uncle, because I'm the one that told her that he existed. Funny...she didn't seem much interested in learning about him...no clue as to why...
Anyway...I'm pleased as punch to have my "new" cousins!! Carolyn would by a first cousin, once removed, while her daughter Jo Anne and I are second cousins! :)

bakermom 06-25-2011 05:53 PM

Small world isn't it?

pab58 06-25-2011 06:22 PM

OMGoodness!!!! That is such a wonderful story!!! :-D :-D