Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I learned a valuable lesson (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-learned-valuable-lesson-t221539.html)

Cagey 05-15-2013 06:32 AM

I learned a valuable lesson

Last week my DH and I took a trip to Shipshewana to go to the flea market. Afterwards we went to Yoder's General Store and I just about fainted when I saw their fabric department. It was huge. My DH had been there last year (without me!) and said they had fabric. That was an understatement. So there I was amidst all that fabric and none of my patterns with me. Talk about frustration. So the lesson that I learned is anytime I'm going on vacation, take a bundle of my patterns from my "to-do someday" just in case.....

QuiltE 05-15-2013 06:44 AM

Or start a notebook with the details in and keep it in your car!

I keep a tote bag in my truck all the time, complete with any fabrics or patterns that I am kinda-sorta looking for or to coordinate with, but not in a rush to find. Also, a OBW mirror, and an address book with LQS info, filed according to town. You wouldn't believe how often it has all come in handy, whether locally or at a distance.

oma66 05-15-2013 06:48 AM

idea for your next trip...

1 Attachment(s)
I use a photo brag book to carry swatches of my stash with me whenever I travel near or far. Sure helps with shopping for fabric or even if I happen across fabric in unexpected places.

I also added the names of quilts and yardage needed in the back of the book. It has been so helpful and so easy to carry.

valleyquiltermo 05-15-2013 06:54 AM

Wow Oma66 that brag book is a great Ideal.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-15-2013 07:16 AM

Oma, you are a genius!!!!

QuiltE 05-15-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by oma66 (Post 6065261)
I use a photo brag book to carry swatches of my stash with me whenever I travel near or far. Sure helps with shopping for fabric or even if I happen across fabric in unexpected places.

I also added the names of quilts and yardage needed in the back of the book. It has been so helpful and so easy to carry.

Exactly what I was meaning ....... a picture is definitely worth a 1,000 words! :)

michelleoc 05-15-2013 08:14 AM

Another thing that you can do if you have a smartphone, make a list on your computer and put it on the skydrive (it goes into the cloud - don't ask me how it works, it's a mystery to me). That way you can access it from your phone wherever you are. I do this with books I want to read so I have a list when I go to the used book store.

Jingle 05-15-2013 08:21 AM

I would have just gone crazy and started buying fabrics. All the while thinking I would come up with something later. That is how I have bought most of my fabrics anyway.

Anael 05-15-2013 09:38 AM

I'm like Jingle :)

Jan in VA 05-15-2013 09:53 AM

OMG that is *way* too organized for me!!:shock:
Fly by the seat of my pants, that's the sort of gal I am. Phooey on what the pattern says, I'm listening to what my heart says about the fabrics it loves and "needs" to take home!:D
Everything is just a design opportunity, especially without a pattern.:thumbup:

Jan in VA