Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-love-4th-july-but-going-looong-weekend-t134589.html)

Sadiemae 07-01-2011 06:31 PM

I finally coax Molly out the door, then she hears a firecracker, and she hustles her little poodle hiney right back to the door. Then it is several hours before I can try again...

How many of you have dogs that really hate or are afraid of the fireworks? What do you do?

I finally give up... I am on my way to the store in the morning to get Children's Benadryl. It is worth a try.

alikat110 07-01-2011 06:33 PM

Burn ban in effect here. Heard rumor they will even ban grill fires d/t risks!

craftybear 07-01-2011 06:34 PM

I had heard when dogs are afraid of thunder and lightning to take a fabric softener sheet (not scented) and rub on back of neck and it calms them down

my friend's dog was scared of thunder and lightning and now she uses the fabric softener and no longer has a problem with them

you might try that

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I finally coax Molly out the door, then she hears a firecracker, and she hustles her little poodle hiney right back to the door. Then it is several hours before I can try again...

How many of you have dogs that really hate or are afraid of the fireworks? What do you do?

I finally give up... I am on my way to the store in the morning to get Children's Benadryl. It is worth a try.

auntpiggylpn 07-01-2011 06:34 PM

My dogs (see avatar) are going nuts!!! They won't settle down until about September because people around me don't think that Fireworks are just for the 4th of July. Tonite they started around 6pm and it is now 10:30 and it is still going on!

Jan in VA 07-01-2011 06:38 PM

Sadiemae,
Do you watch the Dog Whisperer? I think his techniques are incredibly intuitive and successful. They'd be very helpful for you; poodles are smart, quick learners.

Jan in VA

Sadiemae 07-01-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Sadiemae,
Do you watch the Dog Whisperer? I think his techniques are incredibly intuitive and successful. They'd be very helpful for you; poodles are smart, quick learners.

Jan in VA

Is he on Direct TV?

GreatStarter 07-01-2011 06:49 PM

Our beloved lab was terrified of fireworks. He passed away a few years ago, the dog we have now isn't afraid.

Kat

KathyAire 07-01-2011 06:50 PM

I'm right there with you about the dogs and firecrackers. Mine are going nuts. You would think the fools popping the firecrackers could at least wait until the 4th of July. Ours will be going off for several weeks as well. We are outside the city limits, no one seems to care if there is a burn ban or anything else.

auntpiggylpn 07-01-2011 06:52 PM

The dog on the left in my avatar became a stray on the 4th of July because he was so terrified of the booms. He was rescued by Animal care and control and nobody claimed him. He was able to come home to us and that was 9 years ago!!!

chris_quilts 07-01-2011 07:04 PM

My beloved Husky hated them. Had to be CARRIED outside during this time b/c of stupid people with fireworks. The Shepherd doesn't seem to be yet and neither is our boxer. We live inside the city limits and still have neighbors using fireworks. Again stupid people with fireworks. AArrgghh!!!