Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I love to listen to books while I sew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-love-listen-books-while-i-sew-t218919.html)

kellen46 04-12-2013 05:18 AM

I love to listen to books while I sew

I found this site...http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/ and it is full of free to use titles. They are all the old out of copyright titles but still so good to listen to old favorites. Right now I am listening to the Edgar Rice Burroughs "John Carter of Mars" series. These books bring back old memories of me reading a chapter a night to my boys at bedtime. It instilled a need to read in them as I found out they were reading ahead during the day because they could not wait till bedtime to find out what happened next. After John Carter we moved on to Tarzan. Oh yes the biases of a century ago do come through but still if you like doughty hero's and brave and beautiful princesses it holds up....no wussy fainting maids here, the princesses are as good with a sword as they are beautiful...The reality that we now can see pictures of Mars as it is does not diminish the lovely fantasy of John Carter's Mars in the books.
There are lots of other types of titles, just in case you are not a science fiction fan, check it out I am sure you will find something you want to listen to.

nygal 04-12-2013 06:02 AM

When I sew I listen to conservative talk radio or music.

sew4nin 04-12-2013 06:07 AM

I have been listening to books on cd. I bookmarked this site. Thank you!

NanaBeez 04-12-2013 10:40 PM

I am delighted to find this site. I love to read but want to get into more listening.

JoyjoyMarie 04-13-2013 03:24 AM

Wow! Thank you - I am trying to get up to the current technology, because I love to listen while I quilt, or garden, or do BORING things that must be done. DH got me an MP3 player for Xmas, so have been loving the music, but now I need to expand to listening to books, which I really enjoy. And there's so much available for free, if you just know how to find it!!

chance 04-13-2013 04:04 AM

Library

Don't forget your local library - free and best sellers available.

stitchinwitch 04-13-2013 04:42 AM

Thank you for the fantastic site! There are so many to choose from - It seems I have the tv on just for something to listen to, and I am SO over the Arias trial! This is a wonderful welcomed change -

SimpsonFrances 04-13-2013 05:35 AM

I am a member of audible.com. You can look at their website and decide if it is for you. I love it. You can download the books to your computer and/or other devices. They have a huge selection. I really enjoy it. It is not free but it is much less expensive than purchasing the books on CD and once you have purchased them, they are yours.

DogHouseMom 04-13-2013 06:00 AM

Thanks for the link!!! My library hasn't made the leap into the 21st century yet and only offers books on "cassette" (yes you heard me right!!). So I get all my audio books from Audible ... usually when they have a big sale (I also have a membership where I use my credits for new releases). This web site will be a great addition to my audible source!!

I must admit though, I tried listening while I sew and I can't. I can concentrate EITHER on the book, or the sewing. However if I have a lot of seam-ripping I can listen while doing that mindless chore.

sparkys_mom 04-13-2013 06:20 AM

Thanks for the link! I use CDs from the library but sometimes they are so beat up that they are useless. I have a very poor track record for other devices. I bought an iPod about 4 years ago because I wanted to download books from the library and, even though everyone tells me it is easy, I've never figured out how to do it. Now I have a Kindle and haven't gotten around to that one, either. I really don't want to pay for books as I probably go through 3 or 4 a month and that adds up.