Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm finally getting brave (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-finally-getting-brave-t144525.html)

wannaquilt1 08-11-2011 09:18 PM

I have always wanted to make drapes but was afraid i would screw it up and didnt know where to begin. I started making new drapes for our kitchen and I'm so excited! This is so much fun! I got a fabric with grapes on the vine at walmart that matches my clock I have on the wall and it looks so cute together. I got some muslin for the backing and it looks like they were meant to be together it matches so well. I made half a panel tonight and I'm making the 2nd panel tomorrow and I'll take a picture. I'm sure they won't be perfect but I bet they look better then the ones I got at the store. I even have enough fabric to make tiebacks as well! woo hoo! Here's to being brave and biting the bullet!!!!! It's fun once you get over your fear!

Greenheron 08-11-2011 09:18 PM

Go, girl, go. :thumbup:

auntpiggylpn 08-11-2011 09:25 PM

Good for you!!!

caliquocat 08-11-2011 10:41 PM

Good for you, it feels so good to accomplish a task you were nervous about.

JanTx 08-11-2011 11:06 PM

How fun! When I started quilting last year my daughter discovered that I did know how to sew. All of her growing up life we took things to Memaw when they needed fixing. So when I dug out the old sewing machine she was amazed and asked if I could sew curtains. Well, yes, I could so ... new drapes for her bedroom and my grandson's too. Well, if I could do that my son could have new ones for his bedroom, too. This summer I made new ones for her living room. THEN I thought ... hmmmmm... maybe I don't have to keep these 20 year old out-of-style things in that spare bedroom. So sewed some for ME! The sky's the limit, now! You go , Girl .. and so will I. :)

A fun note: the day I finished my daughter's living room curtains they were having a neighborhood barbecue. I found out later that all the wives ended up trooping back to her house to admire her new curtains. I had already told her if anyone asked to tell them they couldn't possibly afford me! But ... my smile stayed planted on my face for a long time after that.

Rose L 08-11-2011 11:11 PM

Good for you! I have had fabric for kitchen curtains for close to a year now and haven't made them yet. No fear...just lazy. I'm starting rethink the fabric I got but have no idea what to do with 10 yards of red checked fabric, lol!

SueDor 08-12-2011 02:05 AM

I love it when you find the right fabric for the right project!

Lisanne 08-12-2011 03:49 AM

I can't wait to see them! Good for you, getting up the courage to give it a try!

wannaquilt1 08-12-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
How fun! When I started quilting last year my daughter discovered that I did know how to sew. All of her growing up life we took things to Memaw when they needed fixing. So when I dug out the old sewing machine she was amazed and asked if I could sew curtains. Well, yes, I could so ... new drapes for her bedroom and my grandson's too. Well, if I could do that my son could have new ones for his bedroom, too. This summer I made new ones for her living room. THEN I thought ... hmmmmm... maybe I don't have to keep these 20 year old out-of-style things in that spare bedroom. So sewed some for ME! The sky's the limit, now! You go , Girl .. and so will I. :)

A fun note: the day I finished my daughter's living room curtains they were having a neighborhood barbecue. I found out later that all the wives ended up trooping back to her house to admire her new curtains. I had already told her if anyone asked to tell them they couldn't possibly afford me! But ... my smile stayed planted on my face for a long time after that.

wow that's awesome! Isn't it a great feeling to make something that people admire? Did you put rings on any of the curtains? I made a rod pocket for the kitchen ones I just made but I'm thinking rings might open and close really nicely in the living room but I don't know how to do it. Do I just make button holes?

wannaquilt1 08-12-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Good for you! I have had fabric for kitchen curtains for close to a year now and haven't made them yet. No fear...just lazy. I'm starting rethink the fabric I got but have no idea what to do with 10 yards of red checked fabric, lol!

oh how funny! maybe that fabric needs to be a quilt back now and you can get new fabric for your drapes