Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm going to BOSTON! ! ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-going-boston-t160105.html)

Leann 10-13-2011 06:51 AM

My high school Senior and I arrive Sunday, Oct 30 for a 2 day stay while he shadows a student at M.I.T. I have so many questions that I don't know where to start.

Is there public transportation from Logan Int'l?
What hotels are near the airport?
I don't plan to rent a car; should I reconsider?
Aren't Harvard and M.I.T. walking distance apart?
Any other advice?

I suspect that I will be doing LOTS of walking after I wear out my welcome in the admissions office. Anything I should see?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance to all my quilty friends.

QuiltnNan 10-13-2011 06:56 AM

if you are staying at a hotel, they probably provide transportation to the hotel.

QBeth 10-13-2011 06:59 AM

That's wonderful!! I went to Northeastern University in the Back Bay of Boston and my father worked at M.I.T.

Both Harvard and M.I.T. are in Cambridge which is across the river from Boston. The campuses are about a mile? apart but walkable. You can also get there by subway but, if I remember correctly, its only one stop and not worth it. Treat yourself to a taxi or find a bus route that travels along Mass Avenue.

The MBTA subway system runs from the airport (although the first part might be by bus) into all parts of both Boston and Cambridge; you can probably find a subway map on a Boston homepage. As for hotels, do a search on Logan airport and I think you'll find that most of the popular hotels are nearby, probably with shuttles from the terminal to the hotel.

As for renting a car? Don't! Not for this short a stay. Driving in Boston is an adventure not for the faint of heart!!

Shame you only have two days! There's a lot to see, all of it accessible by subway. The Boston Museum of Science; the Museum of Fine Arts; or, just take the subway to Boston Common and look around!

Hope you have a wonderful time! And, that your son gets into M.I.T.!!

Mad Mimm 10-13-2011 08:18 AM

I found the mass transit to be very accessible and used it almost exclusively during my stay. Driving in Boston is not my favorite thing to do - though it ranks higher than parallel parking in San Francisco haha! Enjoy your trip to Beantown!

ptquilts 10-13-2011 08:21 AM

no need for a car in Boston - mass transit takes you everywhere, even to the airport. Have a great trip!!

fabrichore 10-13-2011 08:26 AM

you are going to love your time here, it is too bad you only have two days, However if you set up an itineray you should be good to go, there is newbury street, great shops, the north end if you like italian this is the best place to get a bite, of course you have the musems and the aquariam, it all depends on what you like to do, theres fenway park if your son is a baseball fan...fanuiel hall, that is a cool place to hang out there is artists and little shops and of course food...take a tour online and see what Boston has to offer you especially if you only have two days.. you are going to have alot of fun...boy do I sound like an informaical or what LOL....and of course there is always the cambridge quilt shop, just saying is all....

Warning do not rent a car use public transportation, you can get the MBTA schedule online before you leave and I am sure the peeps at MIT will help you..you do not want to drive in Boston, I live in mass, and even I do not like driving into the boston we take the train in...

hazeljane 10-13-2011 09:50 AM

Whatever you do, don't rent a car. Boston is, in my opinion, the WORST city to drive in in the USA. However, the T is easy to figure out. Boston is a great walking city. Great seafood, lots of history, Have a great time!

QBeth 10-13-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Whatever you do, don't rent a car. Boston is, in my opinion, the WORST city to drive in in the USA.

Pardon my laughter but hazeljane is SO right! Having grown up in MA, and going to school in Boston as a commuter student, I've seen it all. Personally, I think the majority of Boston drivers are excellent because they've had so much practice dealing with the really bad ones!! :?

Until you can tell me what is a "Boston left," don't drive in Boston! ;-)

SueSew 10-13-2011 10:10 AM

I would not want to walk from Harvard to MIT - they are at opposite ends of Cambridge! There is great public transport. And transport from Logan. Cheapest hotels would be in Central Sq area between the two. Finding parking places is difficult and car not necessary. If you rent a car bring lots of quarters and plan extra 15 min to rid around looking for spot.
Wish you all good luck
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maride 10-13-2011 10:50 AM

My Senior is also applying for MIT. He went there already to visit, and is scheduling an interview this week. Good luck to yours.