Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm going to be a mother-in-law!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-going-mother-law-t31010.html)

barnbum 12-06-2009 01:49 PM

My 22 yeard old son popped the question to his girl of 2 years 8 months. She said "Yes!" Not that we thought she'd say something else.:wink: There's no date set yet; he has one more semester and a summer internship to finish his BT degree.

She's a terrific gal. She never knew her mother, so was raised by her paternal grandparents. She hasn't had an easy road, so we're trying to support her all we can--to show her what it's like to have parents. She recently bought a nice trailer in a park. Mark and I went through the process with her--and Mark's been over several times to help get it winterized. Recently her car died, so she called our son at college--he called Mark who works close to where she was. Mark rescued her. He bought her here so she could borrow one of our vehicles to get to work the next morning. Justin came home from college that night and towed her car to our place and fixed it the next day. Her walls have got the wall hangings I've made her and her ragged flannel is almost done. She's so much fun to spoil because she's so appreciative!!

This is an exciting new chapter for us. And, it's one step closer to being a grandmother, however that will be years down the road I think. My son's fiance would like to get her college degree first. Good plan. I can wait. ;)

sharon b 12-06-2009 01:53 PM

CONGRATS ! How exciting . And sounds like they are both sensible with good heads on their shoulders

Ninnie 12-06-2009 01:56 PM

Congratulations!

fluffbug95 12-06-2009 02:30 PM

Congrats!!! :-D Can't wait to see what you make!!

wvdek 12-06-2009 02:34 PM

congrats!

Marcia 12-06-2009 02:41 PM

Congrats, Karla---I LOVE being a MIL---but I just have son-in-laws. They are both real honeys!!

marsye 12-06-2009 02:49 PM

Congratulations!

barnbum 12-06-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks! I hope I'm a good MIL. Any tips--besides just staying out of their way--being there when they need me--and not putting demands on them...are appreciated.
I should add that Jenny's grandmother is very supportive--but from a distance--she spends months in TX. They talk daily, I think, but it's not the same as having her close by. She's had no financial support of any kind. And her grandmother adores Justin. :wink:

kwhite 12-06-2009 02:55 PM

That is so wonderful. Congrats. I think one of my biggest fears at this point in life is not liking the boy my only child picks for a life partner. I am so happy you like her.

barnbum 12-06-2009 03:04 PM

Well, kwhite...Justin has always been a child who has taught me lessons. His favorite Bible verse from the time he was young is "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." He walks his talk.

See--Jenny has a weight issue. I admit I was shallow about that when I first heard they were going to be a couple... I'm not proud of that, but Mark and I work hard to maintain an appropriate weight--it's a priority with us. (My mom died from diabetis from eating wrong foods.) When I discussed it with Justin--before we'd really met Jenny--he said "But, Mom, she has the most wonderful personality." I assured him that we trusted his judgement and we would love who he loved. I knew he liked her a lot. And all one has to do is talk with Jenny for five minutes to know she's all heart--to her very core. She and Justin have never broken up since they're been a couple. I appreciate her for making him so happy. He taught me a lesson on true beauty.