Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm planning a surprise... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-planning-surprise-t130358.html)

SparkMonkey 06-14-2011 04:36 AM

...I keep telling myself it's for "us," but really it's probably mostly for "me." Whatever, I don't care. ;D

My boyfriend and I are coming up to our 2-year anniversary soon, and I want to make us a quilt as a gift. I have the fabric picked out, but it's a little on the spendy side so I need to find a pattern that will use it efficiently and effectively (I can flesh it out with less-expensive solids).

The hard part will be keeping it secret while I'm piecing it. My sewing room also has our computers, so he's in there every day. I'm off work until the middle of August, so I've got plenty of time every day to sew on it while he's at work, but he's pretty sharp and would notice any new fabric or quilt pieces lying around (and it's not like me to not make him ooh and aah over every crafting purchase I make, so he'd get suspicious pretty quickly). So I'll have to make sure I hide the evidence before he gets home each evening. Once I get to the quilting stage, it won't be a problem--our coffee table is a trunk, and it doubles as super-secret crafting storage that I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about. :mrgreen: Right now it's acting as a frog pond, but they're a bunch of sweaters I'm *never* going to rip up so I'll just send them back to the Goodwill. I should probably have a few decoy projects on the line, too... he knows how productive I am in the summer and he'd start to wonder if I didn't have anything to show him when he got home each day.

Anyway, once I decide on a pattern I need to order the fabric and get to work. I have until August 5th, when I want to lay it out on the bed and wait for him to find it! 8-) Wish me luck!

litacats 06-14-2011 04:42 AM

good luck on keeping it a secret.

dd 06-14-2011 04:45 AM

WOW, you have your work "cut out" for you. Good luck! I know surprises are hard to keep. Let us know what pattern you decided on.

Dina 06-14-2011 04:59 AM

You can do it. Just make sure your decoy projects use the same color thread. A different color on the machine could give it away.

SparkMonkey 06-14-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
You can do it. Just make sure your decoy projects use the same color thread. A different color on the machine could give it away.

Oh, good call!! I didn't even think of the thread on the machine.

amyjo 06-14-2011 06:05 AM

good luck on keeping the secret. for sure the thread will give it away if it is different than what you do show him.

Kaz 06-14-2011 06:23 AM

Hope you manage it. MY DH works from home and I was trying to do something as a surprise. That lasted all of one day, lol.

Painiacs 06-14-2011 09:26 AM

Good luck ! Shhhh we won't tell. ! I made one for hubby right under his nose and he didnt know! Makin one for ds and it's sitting right there! Should we distract himwhile u hide it? Lol

Jim's Gem 06-14-2011 02:08 PM

Hope you have a wonderful time getting this quilt done and are able to keep it from him!!!

QuiltE 06-14-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey

Originally Posted by Dina

Oh, good call!! I didn't even think of the thread on the machine.

Ditto .... on the machine, and threads that walk around your home, stick to your clothing and in the garbage!

I did one a year ago for a friend that is in and out of my home several times a week. The secret thing started right when I bought the fabric ... I'd seen it, didn't buy it ... and then decided I had to have it. The problem was it was ove an hour's drive each way. So had to drive fast, and fabricate my whereabouts that day!! Got it, then onwards ... It was fun keeping it as a secret ... and a challenge at times to make sure it was all away when they came, or when there was a surprise visit! YIKES!!!!

Managed to get it completed, off to the LAQ, wrapped, and given for a special occasion ......... talk about surprised and pleased!! Which made me all the more thrilled, that my secrecy was well worth it!! :) Have fun with your secret!