Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'M SO MAD!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-so-mad-t74044.html)

donnaree59 11-03-2010 11:05 AM

Got a call this morning from my husband's first cousin. She had answered the door to a nice looking young man in a nice pick up truck last week. The guy was wanting to see about buying some land adjoining hers and wanted her to show him the boundary lines. Well, Ruth went with him to show him and after that he left... Two hours later she realized she had been robbed while she was in the backyard with him. She had just cashed her Social Security check and had taken extra out to pay her taxes... Evidently an accomplice had been lying down in the seat when he drove up and went into the house when they went around back. Before they came back around the house he called "the office" to tell them he'd seen all he needed to see and was heading back. Ruth is 78 years old, about 5' tall (probably with her stretching), and wears bilateral hearing aids. How can anyone, anyone, be this mean? Found out today that they hit several homes within a 50 mile or so area, but NO LEADS. I just pray something breaks lose and they find them. Just had to vent, and also wanting to warn you my friends. This is just so awful for this sweet, dear lady who probably would have given the man money if he had told her he needed it...

Murphy 11-03-2010 11:06 AM

Shame on these kind of people. Hanging is too good.

dforesee 11-03-2010 11:07 AM

Ooohhh, I am so angry for you! What a wicked world we live in; some people are so cold; seem to have been born with no heart. I can imagine the emotional trauma she if feeling is almost as bad as her monetary loss - I will says special prayers for her.

Candace 11-03-2010 11:09 AM

They will pay. IF not now, then later. :<

pookie ookie 11-03-2010 11:12 AM

The lowest of the low. Poor Ruth. I know the feeling as I once had a neighbor(!) take almost five hundred dollars out of my wallet. We also have contractors and other home service folks who do the same scam. Distract while someone else steals. Be careful out there!

Dawn Hendrix 11-03-2010 11:14 AM

O my word... So sorry to hear this.. people are just so MEAN!

BellaBoo 11-03-2010 11:16 AM

How awful! It's a sign of the times when no stranger can be trusted anymore. I know your cousin feels so bad having this happen to her. I hope the law catches these scumbags. I've been duped too many times by sob/help stories so I now never take anyone on face value and always say NO first.

pocoellie 11-03-2010 11:18 AM

I'm so sorry this happened but she should at least be able to report to the police the description of the man that came to the door. I guess you can't trust anyone nowadays.

sewmuch 11-03-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
They will pay. IF not now, then later. :<

I agree, what goes around comes around : :evil:

DebraK 11-03-2010 11:20 AM

I'm glad she wasn't hurt.