Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Infomercials drive me crazy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/infomercials-drive-me-crazy-t65840.html)

AlwaysQuilting 09-20-2010 02:23 PM

Am I the only one who detests informercials?
I have trouble sleeping so I turn on the TV for company. It seems that's about all there is on TV after midnight.

These are the things that drive me crazy--
1. why are there so many australians hosting them?
They're taped in the USA (I love Aussies, btw. But I'm curious about why they do all the hosting?)
2. Shouting. I'm not deaf.
3. The lady hosts all wear dresses cut down to there.
Seeing bosoms isn't going to make me buy anything. It just makes me think you want to distract people from really paying attention to your offer.
4. They always say "It's only 3 payments of..." or "its only 4 payments of $99.99 and if you call in 20 min. we'll take off one payment".
I can do the math. Why are they embarrassed to just tell me the total?
Oh for the good old days of reruns on all channels all night. Or even the test pattern!

erstan947 09-20-2010 02:28 PM

preach on!!!!

MadQuilter 09-20-2010 02:39 PM

Get pay-per-view channels or plop in a movie. Odds are you will see lots of bosoms and yelling after midnight in the movies too.

Funny - I asked DH the same question last night: Why are all those loud Aussies peddling crap on US TV? I guess we are supposed to find the accent impossible to resist. HA! I could also resist Billy May's yelling.

ptquilts 09-20-2010 02:42 PM

and where do they get that audience of idiots who sit there enraptured, applauding and nodding their heads, like,

"yes, this new strawberry seed remover will CHANGE MY LIFE!!!"

woody 09-20-2010 02:44 PM

Funny, the informercials we get here in Australia seem to have either Americans or the English trying to sell us something. Maybe they think you will pay more attention to a different accent.
Either way they are annoying!!!!

blahel 09-20-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Funny, the informercials we get here in Australia seem to have either Americans or the English trying to sell us something. Maybe they think you will pay more attention to a different accent.
Either way they are annoying!!!!

I had to laugh too :lol: :lol: as that is what I was going to say that mostly we get Americans and yes it is annoying!

amandasgramma 09-20-2010 03:03 PM

What a HOOT!!! I can just see the meeting with the marketing director......everyone hunched over a big table and him saying "now, see, here's how we do it. We irritate them until they're idiotic, we scream at them until they can't stand it, we have the hawker talk in a language juuuuust a little different from their homeland, and MAYBE we'll sucker them in to just shut us up"!!!! ROL! :mrgreen: :hunf:

ptquilts 09-20-2010 03:20 PM

I think it all started with that big blond Aussie guy who yelled
"OYYY!!" - anyone remember him? Funny, I can't remember what the ad was for..

Sadiemae 09-20-2010 03:25 PM

Montel, can't you make a new Infomercial???

They play the same ones over and over and over a million times. Can't they record several????

(Didn't the man that did a lot of yelling die with drugs in his system? I could be waaaay off base, but I thought so.)

AlwaysQuilting 09-20-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Funny, the informercials we get here in Australia seem to have either Americans or the English trying to sell us something....

You're kidding?
That's too funny.