Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   IPad users beware (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ipad-users-beware-t268139.html)

matraina 07-29-2015 01:46 PM

IPad users beware

I have an iPad Air. Beginning last night, when I'd look up something on Safari, I'd get a message that said something like, "Suspicious activity Might have been detected. Major security issue. To fix it, please call Support for Apple:+1-800-447-8361 (Toll free) immediately." It also said, "O.K." When I clicked on "O.K.",it would not go away. I was suspicious so I went to Apple.com where they listed all support lines, and that wasn't one of them. I called our Apple retail store. They went through a lot of things with me and even had to walk me through how to delete that box. He said that it was someone going "phishing" and I did the right thing by not calling that number.

Lady Diana 07-30-2015 02:55 AM

Clicking on OK could have placed a virus on your pad.....what virus software do you have? Hope this is not a problem for you.

institches33 07-30-2015 03:05 AM

I've gotten that message as well and it kept returning. I just turned off my Ipad for a bit and it was gone.

This is as bad as getting the phone calls from "Microsoft" saying your computer is running slowly.

Sew Freak 07-30-2015 04:12 AM

thanks for the info!!

ManiacQuilter2 07-30-2015 05:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I have android tablet but I got it just to watch TV on it.

scarlet14 07-30-2015 05:41 AM

My son is an IT---he says non of the computer companies will EVER call you or contact you unless you contact them first

willferg 07-30-2015 07:10 AM

It's rare to get something like that on an Apple product. Thanks for the head's up, I will watch for it on my iPad.

matraina 07-30-2015 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 (Post 7271567)
I've gotten that message as well and it kept returning. I just turned off my Ipad for a bit and it was gone.

This is as bad as getting the phone calls from "Microsoft" saying your computer is running slowly.

I know. I still get those. I now tell them, "Really, I don't have a computer." They hang up immediately.

matraina 07-30-2015 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 7271562)
Clicking on OK could have placed a virus on your pad.....what virus software do you have? Hope this is not a problem for you.

Never thought of that. Usually, I just click on OK and go about my business. Thanks.

Kathleen charnell 07-30-2015 07:09 PM

The first time I got this message,( & I have twice now)I was suspicious, but called the phone# just for the heck of it. These are people trying to charge you $49.95 "to fix your IPad" It 's a scam. Apple IPad has very good security. Yes, all you have to do is turn off your IPad & it will go away. I wonder how many people have gotten scammed!