Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Iphone5 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/iphone5-t201356.html)

romanojg 09-24-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5537187)
Love my smartphone! I use it for soooooo much. However, I am not upgrading to the new Iphone5! My Iphone4s works great and not much more than a nickels diffrence between the upgrades in my opinion. I think the samsung III is awesome for a smartphone. So one could look at that if one was interested in a smart phone.

I got the iPhone 4S a couple of months ago and its ok. I had issues with it trying to get calls etc and was told it was fine. It will be better this winter because we are one of the 100 cities that Sprint is going to release 4G and 4g lite and a booster for 3G. I got the iPhone for only 100 because I changed my house phone over to sprint as well. It's cheaper than my local cable and I get lots more. I was told that it would do the text messageing with my car which is why I wanted it. But after going back and forth with Sprint and Ford; it'll never happen. The text messaging bluetooth that Ford uses is done with Microsoft and well Apple and Microsoft don't play well. I qualify for a new phone and the one that I want so far is the Samsung III. Even the Sprint guy said if it wasn't for he had an iPhone he'd get one. Just waiting for them to come down in price which they think will happen because they are neck and neck with Apple. The day before iPhone 5 came out there was an update for the 4 and it fixed alot of issues and gave a lot so those of you who haven't upgraded should. I was told it would take about 15min but it took quite awhile but had no problems doing it. I don't play alot on my smartphone but I do like having it instead of a reqular cell phone and with the all in one data plan on Sprint it's very cost efficient for me. Both my house and cell are under 100 each month so that is good.

laynak 09-24-2012 07:16 AM

My iPhone 3GS was the best money spent in the past 10 years next to my BabyLock sewing machine. I'm ready to upgrade. Just waiting for the rush to die down and a few more $$ set aside.
I appreciate all the useful apps in my iPhone, the features and conveniences. And, the new phone's camera alone will replace the need for a separate digital camera. Panoramic photos, video + camera shoot simultaneous.
Plus, Mac has a great operating system, much more secure and stable.

Chasing Hawk 09-24-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by whatever (Post 5536857)
gee do they make phones that you can call out and receive calls on and thats it.... I miss them

Me too :)

I guess we can start looking in people's attics.......lol

Chasing Hawk 09-24-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Needles (Post 5537584)
We still have the old style TracFone we got seven years ago. We use it for us only and that's the only time it's on. I get this wide eyed look when people ask for our cell number. I don't give it out, it's never on and I never set up the mail box If you want me, email me or call me on the phone. We have a fancy Sony camera that our son gave us for Christmas a couple years back. It practically dances in the street. People send us their grainy out of focus phone pictures and you can't even make them out most of the time. I delete them, why would I want them in a album or even taking up room on a flash drive or disc?

My answer to those who don't understand why we don't get into the electronic age, we have what we need, would rather save that money for travel, etc. Our main TV is still a 10 year old Samsung, the heavy one. It works, has beautiful picture and color. We'll get a flat screen when this one bites the dust, our old Magnavox lasted 15 years. You have to admit, nothing lasts that long now. Thus the reason many are always crying, we have no money. I can't for the life of me understand WHY someone pays a fortune for a new phone when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one in front of them. Makes no sense to me at all.

Needles,

I really like your post!!

My sister and Brothers all have to have the latest and greatest new gadgets. And they all cry broke while I have money to enjoy lives simple pleasures. Like traveling with my husband and buying fabric. :)

laynak 09-24-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5537588)
I got the iPhone 4S a couple of months ago and its ok. I had issues with it trying to get calls etc and was told it was fine. It will be better this winter because we are one of the 100 cities that Sprint is going to release 4G and 4g lite and a booster for 3G. I got the iPhone for only 100 because I changed my house phone over to sprint as well. It's cheaper than my local cable and I get lots more. I was told that it would do the text messageing with my car which is why I wanted it. But after going back and forth with Sprint and Ford; it'll never happen. The text messaging bluetooth that Ford uses is done with Microsoft and well Apple and Microsoft don't play well. I qualify for a new phone and the one that I want so far is the Samsung III. Even the Sprint guy said if it wasn't for he had an iPhone he'd get one. Just waiting for them to come down in price which they think will happen because they are neck and neck with Apple. The day before iPhone 5 came out there was an update for the 4 and it fixed alot of issues and gave a lot so those of you who haven't upgraded should. I was told it would take about 15min but it took quite awhile but had no problems doing it. I don't play alot on my smartphone but I do like having it instead of a reqular cell phone and with the all in one data plan on Sprint it's very cost efficient for me. Both my house and cell are under 100 each month so that is good.

I heard Sprint is much slower than AT&T or Verizon....so, I wouldn't choose them for an iPhone anyway. I use Bluetooth with my Acura & it's iPhone friendly. My next car will also be compatible for the iPhone.
For software issues between PC's & Macs, instead of paying for the software, go for Open Office software -- it parallels MS Office and it's FREE. Translates between Mac & PC without a problem. Has parallel apps for word, excel, and powerpoint.
No problem with AT&T for $91/mo with 450 min. & unlimited data on my iPhone plus a basic phone plan for my husband (he's not into smartphones). However, I'm irked with AT&T for other practices they follow. May go to Verizon with a new phone if feasible & competitive rate.

romanojg 09-24-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by laynak (Post 5537676)
I heard Sprint is much slower than AT&T or Verizon....so, I wouldn't choose them for an iPhone anyway. I use Bluetooth with my Acura & it's iPhone friendly. My next car will also be compatible for the iPhone.
For software issues between PC's & Macs, instead of paying for the software, go for Open Office software -- it parallels MS Office and it's FREE. Translates between Mac & PC without a problem. Has parallel apps for word, excel, and powerpoint.
No problem with AT&T for $91/mo with 450 min. & unlimited data on my iPhone plus a basic phone plan for my husband (he's not into smartphones). However, I'm irked with AT&T for other practices they follow. May go to Verizon with a new phone if feasible & competitive rate.

I have good luck with Sprint and in a few months when they finish their upgrades and all of the new towers it'll be even better. My iPhone will do all of the calling, etc with my car just not the text messaging which is where if I get a message the car reads it back to me and I can give a rapid response without touching the phone. I don't have any issues with the software on my pcs, I don't use Mac. I pay 69 for unlimited everything and have great coverage even when going to the mountains and there is no such thing as roaming with sprint; one price period. I agree with some of the things from AT&T, my son has them and he pays alot and if you change your plan in the least little way they renew your contract. With Sprint the only time your contract is renewed for 2yrs is if you get an upgrade to your phone that you get from Sprint unless it's a refurbished phone then they still don't renew you. When they get the 4G etc, it is said that Sprint will be up there with Verizon and from what I hear in my area anyways, they are already ahead of AT&T. Lots of people here at work have At&t and they say they aren't so good. Different areas experience different things sometimes.

LORNAD 09-24-2012 08:40 AM

I had the iPhone 4 and waited till the 5 came out. I ordered it from AT&T and received it last Friday. I really like it. I love the Siri feature. I know others hate it, but it is great to write text messages and is a lot quicker than typing it myself. Also the fact that it is thinner, much faster, and the photos are great. It is taller but not any wider. The map feature that I have seen complaints about so far has been great for what I've looked for. I am not sorry I got it and it is one of the things I really enjoy. I travel quite a bit and am never behind on my emails or FB cause I have it with me on the iphone.

royllsister 09-24-2012 09:23 AM

Stitchnripper, I believe you must mean the "5" as I don't think the 5s has been released yet...just sayin'

MCH 09-24-2012 03:01 PM

All interesting comments about the iPhone 5. I was watching an interview last week with a researcher from Consumer Reports, re: the iPhone 5. His report was that Apple has made a few "tweaks" with this and that, but as executing truly innovative technology, as Apply usually does, the iPhone 5 pretty much misses the mark, It's screen is a bit bigger (means you can have another row of apps visible -- big Whoop!), and it's a bit lighter. But, nothing innovative or technologically significant. Note: Apple foresook the Google Maps database and went with its own proprietary mapping database...which, when reviewed by folks here in Silicon Valley, was not described in glowing terms. The mapping software is loaded with "bugs", making that portion of the system unreliable.
I have a Windows phone, the NOKIA Luminal 900; currently running Windows - Phone 7.5. The camera feature is hard to beat. I have a Nikon professional level digital SLR...and find the camera on my phone serves many of my purposes just fine. The camera has telephoto & macra capabilities and functions with a Carl Zeiss lens (world-class optics). I work with a bunch of technically sophisticated folks who have been blown away by my toy.
I especially enjoy being able to use the voice aspect of creating text messages...I don't have to type them anymore.
Consider this, when it was announced that the iPhone 5 maps were below sub-standard and there was little that is innovative in the iPhone 5, Nokia's stock rose by several points.
Full disclosure requires I tell you that I've lived in Silicon Valley for 30 years and have had it "up to here" with all the slobbering and swooning over any product that Apple puts into the market. This is first release Apple has done since Steve Jobs passed away. Along with Jobs, Apple innovation seems to have gone away, as well. Even at that, though, Apple merely polished a product and marketed it as something that caused people to stand in line overnight, just to have one. I may be from Illinois, but with proximity to Missouri, I have something of the "Show Me" perspective.

coopah 09-24-2012 04:00 PM

I thought iPhones were for techie snobs until...we moved across country and there were miles and miles and miles and more miles of....nothing!!! So I learned to use my husband's iPhone and was converted. Now I have an iPhone and an iPad and enjoy using them. They make my life easier, but I'm not ready to go to the new iPhone...mine is the 4 (or whatever) and does plently. If only it could make my tea and bring it to me....LOL!!!!