Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Irish mantle clock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/irish-mantle-clock-t198190.html)

ljptexas 08-21-2012 03:17 AM

I have a chimer on my LR wall, had it for over 40 yrs. Got it when we 1st bought. It still works but it does have to be wound every 30 days. Have found need to stop it when I have overniters. No problem. I like to hear it tick, at nite, if I'm awake I could tell the time.
If your DIL doesn't want 1 wouldn't spend the $. Find out what she'd really like....only suggesting....

orangeroom 08-21-2012 03:22 AM

Although I'm sure you have the best intentions. I'd leave this to the home owners, especially the woman of the home. It's not your home. You can decorate your home as you wish, let her do the same. Sometimes when your ds tells you things, it's just him trying to understand. Other times he just needs an ear. Although it's hard to realize which time is which, it's certainly NOT time you force your decorative ideas on another woman. Especially since she didn't ask, and clearly doesn't wish to change.

My MIL has wonderful decorating skills. I don't. That doesn't mean that I want her to decorate my home. It's MY home. I even have friends who attempt to decorate for me. Buying me things they feel would look nice on this wall or in that room. I've told them I don't like certain styles, but they continue to give or buy things for my home. I don't use or hang them up. Next time they're over, they look at the wall where they think their gift should be and ask where the object is. I tell them it's not my style. It's not something I would've bought for my home and ask if they'd like it for their home. They get the picture after two or three times and don't buy me things like that anymore. They don't want to waste money (sometimes lots of money).

If that's the only thing you have an issue with, then I think you've got a pretty good DIL. Leave it alone. Don't spend money on something that you know she doesn't want. Seriously. (It might end up in her basement on a shelf).

alwayslearning 08-21-2012 03:29 AM

I agree with others here who say let this alone. It is between your son and his wife about their home. Let him unload on you, but do not let him cause you to make a rift between you and your daughter-in-law.

Jeanniejo 08-21-2012 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit (Post 5454977)
Lots of younger folks don't like mantel clocks...they are noisy, require winding every week and if it is an original (antique) then they look ugly to some. I have several antique clocks, but don't have them all running because it does get annoying, and one was so loud when it chimed it would wake up our guests upstairs.

I say respect your DILs wishes and let your son and her work that clock thing out on their own.

Actually my son asked for my help he wants it to be an heirloom for their family and sure that the answer is The Irish clock. He will actually be the one purchasing it.

Jeanniejo 08-21-2012 06:11 AM

Thank you for your replies. Maybe it is a bigger deal than my son and I thought. Really appreciate your input. You may have saved me from what could have been an insult for my DIL.

KwiltyKahy 08-22-2012 03:06 AM

Very well said. This is not your problem, be glad, gives you more time to quilt.

Originally Posted by alwayslearning (Post 5455912)
I agree with others here who say let this alone. It is between your son and his wife about their home. Let him unload on you, but do not let him cause you to make a rift between you and your daughter-in-law.

jitkaau 08-22-2012 03:26 AM

Perhaps it might be a good idea to let your daughter in law decorate her own house and just have a friendly visit? Less hassle that way.

institches33 08-22-2012 04:15 AM

This is too funny!

No matter how good your intentions are, forcing an unwanted clock (a nice large one) on your DIL may make you appear controlling. Please preserve the best relationship with your DIL and sacrafice the clock.

Glenda m 08-22-2012 05:56 AM

I have a clock in the living room. Everyone ends up in the den, so no problem there. We do forget to turn it forward in the spring, so it is off an hour till time to turn it back. We just add an hour to that time. Hey...almost time to 'not' turn it back. LOL
If she doesn't want a clock, no clock.

FroggyinTexas 08-22-2012 03:43 PM

I have four clocks in my entry hall; three of them, including the grandfather clock my colleagues bought for me when I retired, chime on the 1/4 hour and the hour. The other is a battery operated clock awarded by the school district as a prize for having taught in the district for 25 years. Two cuckoo clocks are on the wall in my living room and one battery operated clock that a student gave me. There are two wall clocks in the guest bedroom and a clock radio; there is at least one clock in every other room in the house. Sometimes it is exciting trying to decide what time it really is! I happen to love clocks; this drives some people to distraction, but if the clocks keep them awake when they are visiting, there are nice quiet hotels all over the area.

Don't get into a fight over a clock in your DIL's living room. Not everyone loves clocks; one of my teaching colleagues hated both clocks and calendars because they reminded her of her mortality. Give DIL a gift card and let her pick her own gift. froggyintexas