Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Irish mantle clock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/irish-mantle-clock-t198190.html)

Jeanniejo 08-20-2012 11:54 AM

Irish mantle clock

I know we have some wonderful quilters from Ireland here on our board so I am hoping that someone can tell me something about a wooden mantle clock with something like a Celtic knot on it. I have a daughter-in-law that refuses to have a clock in her living room !! It drives most of us crazy, including my son, that she won't allow a clock on the fire place. We were hoping if we could find a nice clock, it could be a heirloom for their family as she and my son both of Irish decent. I have looked online but they are all very small. Looking for something about 12" wide and about 8" high. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know from looking so far that they are quite expensive. One actually from Ireland or someone in the USA that has one for sale would be a great Christmas gift for my daughter-in-law.

CindyA 08-20-2012 01:36 PM

Sorry, I don't have any information for you but I am curious as to why your DIL does not want a clock in the living room.?

May in Jersey 08-20-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 5454938)
Sorry, I don't have any information for you but I am curious as to why your DIL does not want a clock in the living room.?

Neither do I. The clock you describe sounds very nice but wonder why her not wanting a clock in the living room bothers anyone. I never have had a clock in my living room and have never thought of getting one. Only clock I've seen in anyone's living room was the tall grandfather clock that my cousin has in hers.

Tartan 08-20-2012 01:47 PM

I do have a nice clock on my mantle but they are not for everyone. My MIL had a cuckoo clock that drove me up the wall. I also cannot stand a ticking clock when trying to sleep. I don't purchase decorative object for my DIL because we have different tastes. Frankly her taste and eye are better than mine.

Treasureit 08-20-2012 01:52 PM

Lots of younger folks don't like mantel clocks...they are noisy, require winding every week and if it is an original (antique) then they look ugly to some. I have several antique clocks, but don't have them all running because it does get annoying, and one was so loud when it chimed it would wake up our guests upstairs.

I say respect your DILs wishes and let your son and her work that clock thing out on their own.

Kimkankwilt 08-20-2012 03:20 PM

There's a clock store in Lake Placid, NY and the guy there is REALLY knowledgeable. You can get their phone # off the internet...maybe they can help.

Pat M. 08-20-2012 03:37 PM

Are you trying to start a fight with you DIL? Please respect her wishes. Give her a gift card from a nice shop.

nativetexan 08-20-2012 03:40 PM

try searching Yahoo images for Mantel Clock from Ireland. you might find something that way.

Kitsie 08-20-2012 06:32 PM

I totally agree!! Her house, her decision! You can have the most beautiful clock in your own living room!

Originally Posted by Pat M. (Post 5455174)
Are you trying to start a fight with you DIL? Please respect her wishes. Give her a gift card from a nice shop.

Joset 08-21-2012 03:09 AM

i would leave it alone. i guess i dont have a clock in my living room either.
never really thought about it much.