Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Janet Evanovich - Wicked Appetite (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/janet-evanovich-wicked-appetite-t195899.html)

Mariposa 07-28-2012 07:30 PM

I really liked the Plum series, but not sure of others yet. Haven't seen the movie either. Not sure I will!

Yooper32 07-29-2012 03:21 AM

My favorite newer author is Kristin Hanna.

Judie 07-29-2012 05:08 AM

I used to love Janet Evonovich, but like others, got sort of tired of the same story with a different set of characters. Poor Stephany doesn't ever seem to learn anything, and while Ranger is someone I think I might know, even he has gotten sort of stale with his undeveloping personality. I have read a few of her non-Plum books and thought, ho-hum. I keep reading her books though, thinking she'll catch that spark again, and my interest.

Scraps 07-29-2012 05:46 AM

I have read 18 of the Plum series and I think they are entertaining. The movie hasn't come to our area, but I never like a movie after I have read a book or a series of books as I have the characters to my liking in my head ----especially Morelli :-)

SunlitenSmiles 07-29-2012 05:47 AM

I really like the Plum books but Steph needs to meet a real man. Ranger has a life that will never include her and Joe is just stuck in a family mold and he really never relates to her as a person with her own goals (she has not set any goals...so I can see how this can happen....but she will, soon, I am sure) he only sees her as an extension of himself and if he calls her stupid one more time I will slam the book closed. I had to laugh when the Mayor of Trenton was arrested by the FBI recently also the cop that lives in a duplex and they found a kidnapped person in his garage...and his credit card forging cousin lives in the other half of the duplex.........looks like pages out of several Janet Evanovich / Plum books. The movie cast Steph, Grandma, Lula, Connie, Vinnie, Alpha, and the cop married to her cousin ..... perfect casting......all the rest terrible.....Rex looked more like a gheane(sp?)pig than a hamster ! They gave one of the best lines in the book to a nosy waitress when it was Connie that said it. Sad.

Another favorite author is Earlene Fowler and I recommend 'Love Mercy' and 'Saddlemakers Wife'.......the Benni Harper Mystery series that are named after Quilt Blocks are great but if you have never read any ...start with Fool's Puzzle...the second time I read them I made a point to read them in the order written, but they can stand alone.

SunlitenSmiles 07-29-2012 06:11 AM

About the Movie version of One For The Money:

The screen writers actually used stuff from several of the first books.

Oh, and when she put her gun in the cookie jar it was not a Brown Bear !!!!! why did they mess with that ??

The car cast as Big Blue was messy and had pieces of chrome missing....we know Big Blue better than that !

for a real laugh watch the frying pan move around on the burners when Joe is cooking and when he gets out of the van stopped directly behind her to confront Steph (who is driving his car) the signal changes and oops his van is behind another car.

LindaJR 07-29-2012 09:18 AM

I did not want to see the movie bacause of who was in the cast. I have not seen a new book by Sue Grafton in a long time. J A Jance is another fav author of mine. I like her original series better than the Joanne Brady one, but I think she has retired the Baumont character.

SunlitenSmiles 07-29-2012 09:40 AM

"V" came out a while ago....I think I read somewhere that "W" is to be realeased in Dec.2012

OFTM movie is good and enjoyed by my friends that had never read any of the books, If you have read the books it is a dissapointment. Sad.....about that.

the early Nevada Barr books are great not so keen on the last four.

pdriggs 07-29-2012 03:24 PM

My favorite new Author is Tricia Fields. She is a Tony Hillerman winner. The Territory is her first book.

kathdavis 07-29-2012 07:53 PM

Love a new author I found, Marie Bostwick. Her books are about running a quilt shop in a small northeastern town. The first book in the series is "A Single Thread." Then "A Thread So Thin," "A Thread of Truth," "Threading the Needle," and "Ties That Bind." There are five books so far in the Cobbled Court series and you need to read them in order so you get to know the characters.