Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   JoAnn's vs Michael's for framing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/joanns-vs-michaels-framing-t207335.html)

Sunnye 11-30-2012 12:50 PM

JoAnn's vs Michael's for framing

I need a picture (LARGE ONE) framed.
The last time I used Michael's and it looked fine, but even with a coupon, I thought it was very expensive.
Has anyone had JoAnn's frame anything? How is the price and quality?
Thanks!

nygal 11-30-2012 02:02 PM

I went a few weeks ago to Joanns to have a counted cross stitch sampler framed. It is about 14 x 16 inches. With a 60% off coupon PLUS an additional ten DOLLARS off it still would have cost me $130.00. I did not choose a fancy frame either! I was not willing to spend that much. I have since purchased a ready made frame and it looks beautiful in that one. Also did the same for sampler for my Grandson.

Sunnye 11-30-2012 02:10 PM

Oh my gosh, nygal. Prices must have really gone up on framing since last time I framed my own stuff, which was the only way we could really afford it. There were 'frame-it-yourself' shops here but no more.
The picture I have is at least twice the size of yours and my husband wants a double mat and a wide wood frame.
Oh, my; what now?

nygal 11-30-2012 02:49 PM

Ouch!!! That will be expensive.

Pam B 11-30-2012 05:57 PM

I don't know about Michaels but I do know that Joann's is terribly expensive! You might try Hobby Lobby, if there is one in your area. We had an elderly gentleman who lived down the road from us who did beautiful framing....he was quite reasonable. Unfortunately, he has passed away. I need to have some framing done...just keep putting it off.

Sunnye 11-30-2012 07:18 PM

Pam B, I do have a Hobby Lobby here and I'll look into it.
Why is this so expensive? I realize that the glass is the most expensive part, but really!

Tropical 11-30-2012 08:09 PM

You might want to try Hobby Lobby. My DH and I had something framed there for my DM and it was quite reasonable. We did choose a ready made frame - quite beautiful - and had the picture matted and put in the frame. So if you can select a ready made frame in the right size, that might be the way to go. Good luck. :):):)

NJ Quilter 12-01-2012 04:07 AM

Is this something you think you might be able to manage yourself? I've had beautiful framing done by Michael's but yes, is quite expensive. But, I've also done much of it myself. They do have quite a nice selection of double mats sold by themselves as well as frames sold separately. You could then go to a glass shop and have a piece of glass cut to the required dimensions. All together it would be far, far less expensive to go that way. And you get to use their regular coupons on the individual elements. I've never had any framing done by JoAnn's.

Sunnye 12-01-2012 07:48 AM

It's way too big for me to handle! The picture itself barely fits into the trunk of my car.
But thanks for all your input. At least I now know everyone is expensive and I'll just have to wrap my head aroun that.

Sheila_H 12-01-2012 10:38 PM

I don't know about Jo-Ann's but I was floored when I had a large print I needed framed, I already had the matte it came with it, so it was just the cost of the frame and the glass. The bill was $230 I darned near fainted I had a coupon that cut the cost a little bit but it was still expensive. I've seen 50% and even one 60% coupon for Jo-Ann's recently that might help with the cost.