Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just Curious... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-curious-t171080.html)

Twisted Quilter 12-05-2011 04:56 PM

Just Curious...

I was searching for a member that I hadn't run across on the boards in a few months. Anyway, I saw several people who register every few days but never post anything. One even registered 50 times! What's the point?

mema5 12-05-2011 05:03 PM

I guess they don't have anything to add or to say. I usually forget because I'm hurrying through and need to get done.

ptquilts 12-05-2011 05:05 PM

How can one person register 50 times? I don't get it. Wouldn't they have 50 user IDs? How would you know they are the same person?

Twisted Quilter 12-05-2011 05:08 PM

The name was unusual. Every time they registed they use the same name but add three different letters to the end.

Peckish 12-05-2011 05:25 PM

It could be a spammer or phisher attempting to get into the board. Hopefully they are unsuccessful!

Sheila_H 12-05-2011 06:54 PM

That sounds like something the Mod's may want to look into there's no reason for people to have that many ID's especially if they're not communicating with anyone. I know sometimes I have one of those lapse in memory things on a site that I don't regularly go into, but if I forget I just have it email me my info I wouldn't create a whole new account.

AuntieD 12-05-2011 07:07 PM

I register daily, but don't always post. This new method seems to work better for me if I sign in.

Sheila_H 12-05-2011 07:17 PM

I don't know why you would need to register daily, you can set it to it remembers you each visit, I've never had to log back in each day

Originally Posted by AuntieD (Post 4755157)
I register daily, but don't always post. This new method seems to work better for me if I sign in.

amyjo 12-05-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H (Post 4755185)
I don't know why you would need to register daily, you can set it to it remembers you each visit, I've never had to log back in each day

I have mine set so all I have to do is click on it on my desktop and I am in. never sign out. must be a spammer. had a couple on here before trying to do some funny stuff. Hope the moderators check on it.

patricej 12-06-2011 12:58 AM

I agree. That does sound suspicious. Please feel free to report things like that to me right away.

I don't think it's anything we need to worry about, though. The only personal information we store is member email addresses. Those are not made visible to the general membership unless an individual member is foolish enough to post it somewhere public. There are also controls in place that make it less likely a "member" can SPAM us by PM. I can think of only one time that one of those goofballs actually went to all the effort required to accomplish that. Members reported it immediately and we shut her down.

Still, I believe it's better to be safe than sorry, so I do encourage you to report anything that seems suspicious.