Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just one bite. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-one-bite-t221678.html)

AlienQuilter 05-17-2013 05:03 AM

Just one bite.

You ever tell your kids that? That was our rule when our kids were little. Just try one bite, if you don't like it, you won't have to eat anymore. 9 times out of 10 they would love it. And we never forced them to eat anything that they did not like. There are more important things to fight over. The only times they had to finish what was on their plates was if they wanted seconds. Was never in the habit of serving dessert right after supper.

Well, the other night, my youngest told us he was meeting some friends at a bar. (He's old enough) But, the bar was a sushi bar! I guess all those times of telling him just one bite paid off. He actually likes sushi! (Should I keep it a secret that I don't think I could eat it?! LOL)

Is there anything that your kids will eat that you don't think you could?

CarolynMT 05-17-2013 06:36 AM

My son only liked chicken when he was little. So we had a HUGE array of chicken......like white chicken (chicken) and brown chicken (beef) and then there was grey chicken (pork). :) He wouldnt eat beef but he would eat brown/pink chicken and loved it! He is 22 now, and thankfully knows the difference between beef and chicken :p

And you should try sushi, I didnt think I would like it either. A friend told me to try a bite and see what I think. I love it now, it is fresh and light but still filling. :) It is my "happy day" meal!

michelleoc 05-17-2013 06:47 AM

We always told my son just to try things and always offered a wide variety of foods. I was never one for fixing separate meals for picky eaters, so he learned to eat what we do. Interestingly, he likes fish (husband and I don't) and he is always willing to try new stuff - escargot, deep-fried crickets, liver (ugh!). He's got a great food sense, listens to his body to tell him when he's hungry, doesn't eat just to be eating. I could learn from him...

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-17-2013 07:35 AM

I HATE shrimp. I don't even like to smell shrimp. All 3 of my kids love the stuff.

hopetoquilt 05-17-2013 08:57 AM

Scrapple is one item I can't stomach but my kids love.

quiltstringz 05-17-2013 10:31 AM

I am with you - my thinking is that raw fish is bait! I would do a roll with the seaweed, rice and other things if there was no fish

Diannia 05-17-2013 10:35 AM

There are lots of things my sons will eat that I won't: sushi, beef tongue (oldest son loves it in tacos), jalapenos, shell fish, shrimp, octopus, squid, chicken gizzards...just what I can think of off the top of my head. Diannia

tesspug 05-17-2013 10:43 AM

My DD just told me she loves Brussels sprouts. This is the kid who hated green as a child. I hate Brussels sprouts. She would eat just about anything if she could pick it straight from the plant. I never could get peas in. She and her little friend would eat them from the vine.

Jingle 05-17-2013 11:51 AM

Our rule was they had to eat whatever was served, period. When they got out on their own, I found out everything they had to eat that they didn't like. Too bad our house our rules.

Jan in VA 05-17-2013 03:36 PM

Escargot. And sushi. You ARE NOT going to make me eat it. Ever. So there. :shock: :p :D

Jan in VA