Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just venting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-venting-t48185.html)

Bobbielinks 06-03-2010 06:01 AM

I am just so frustrated! Why can't people, specially professionals, speak on the phone slowly and form each word completely so the person receiving the message can understand the words? Why do business use recordings to relay an important message?I know I'm hard of hearing. I do wear hearingaids. And I understand that a recording is saving the business so they won't have to pay a salary to a live person, but I can't understand when the words are jumbled together. Yesterday I received a call (actually a recording) from a doctor's office. After the recording I was given an option of repeating the recording which I had to do FIVE times before I was able to understand what they were speaking about. Now I have questions and will need to call that office today - sure hope I am able to speak with a real person!

Janetlmt 06-03-2010 06:11 AM

I agree totally with you. People have left messages on my answering machine and they spoke the numbers so fast that I have had to listen 5 times to get them. Now on my answering machine I have the following message..and I am speaking very slowly. It has cured anyone of speaking to fast..and if they do speak to fast...guess what..I don't return their call.
You have reached the Thomas's. We are not able to take your call at the moment. To leave a message please speak slowly, and repeat all numbers clearly. Thank you.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-03-2010 06:13 AM

Yes, it's very frustrating, whether you hear well or not.
It seems rare to talk to a human anymore.
I sometimes have a terrible time with accents. When I keep asking them to repeat some people get mad. I don't mean to anger them but I can't help it if I don't understand!
My Mom has an awful time with her hearing and I can understand her frustration :(
I get messages on my phone that take repeated listening to understand. You are not alone!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-03-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I agree totally with you. People have left messages on my answering machine and they spoke the numbers so fast that I have had to listen 5 times to get them. Now on my answering machine I have the following message..and I am speaking very slowly. It has cured anyone of speaking to fast..and if they do speak to fast...guess what..I don't return their call.
You have reached the Thomas's. We are not able to take your call at the moment. To leave a message please speak slowly, and repeat all numbers clearly. Thank you.

Very good idea!! :D I'm going to do the same. Thanks!!

Bobbielinks 06-03-2010 06:17 AM

That's a wonderful idea. I believe I will go and change the message on my answering machine to "Please speak slowly, if I can't understand your message, I can't return your call" Or do you think that sounds rude?

Janetlmt 06-03-2010 06:18 AM

I don't think it is rude at all. You go girl..

JudyG 06-03-2010 06:23 AM

I'm with you gals on this one. I wear hearing aids also and have a horrible time listening to messages. You get really tired of having to listen to same message over and over to pick up a few words at a time.

bearisgray 06-03-2010 06:45 AM

I also have trouble understanding numbers and letters.

I do remember to speak slowly and distinctly when I leave a phone number.

My daughter always leaves her contact number twice when she leaves a message.

quiltsRfun 06-03-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
My daughter always leaves her contact number twice when she leaves a message.

Me too. I try to leave my name and number at the beginning of the message and again at the end.

craftybear 06-03-2010 11:26 AM

I understand, I have these phone calls also, hard to understand them