Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A lesson to be learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lesson-learned-t112620.html)

DeniseB 04-01-2011 11:22 AM

Earlier this week I washed two bags and two tote bags that I had made over a year ago. Just wanted to freshen them up. After taking out the bottoms and emptying them checking for pens, coins, etc shaking them to be sure I didn't miss anything, in they went.
Washed in front loader on hand wash cold water for 4 mins. decided to throw them in dryer for 5 mins. to draw out the excess water. Was in kitchen about 10ft from laundry room. After about 3 mins. I heard a click, click, click sound. Went running in to see what was in dryer , pulled one bag and it had INK spots on it ranging from 1/8" to 2 1/2" diameter , pulled out the other 3 and same thing. I was sick............

My gut instict was to just through them away. But I decided I would hang them to dry until DH got home so I could show him.
Well he was just as upset as I was. He immediately went to barn and brought in a huge bucket put 3-4 gallons of water and several scoops of oxy clean in it and proceeded putting the bags in the bucket and started stirring. I explained that thou I appreciate the effort, it was a waste of time these spots were too big. Well we soaked those bags for 2 1/2 days stirring everytime either one of us passed the bucket. He through them in the washer and hoped for the best. Well they came out with some what lighter spots but they were still VERY noticable. We hung them up to dry and figured I would be throughing them out later this week, when I got the courage.

Yesterday, I went to get the bags and looked them over and will wonders never cease....... as the bags had dried the spots grew even fainter, you can't see them unless you know where they are. I plan on using them for everyday. My DH is my Knight in Oxyclean Armour

Just be sure to be extra careful when wahing your bags.

Happy sewing

Sandra-P 04-01-2011 11:26 AM

I am so glad they are usable again. Thanks for the tip on the oxyclean.

Grama Lehr 04-01-2011 11:26 AM

At first I thought this was going to be another April Fools :hunf: :mrgreen:

mommamac 04-01-2011 11:29 AM

Yeah - persistence pays off.
You should send this testimonial to the product company - it would make a great commercial. Who knows, maybe they'll send you a coupon or 2.

Baysidegal 04-01-2011 11:57 AM

YaY Oxyclean! Can't do without it!

bj 04-01-2011 12:28 PM

I know it's been mentioned here before, but Dollar General carries a cleaner called Awesome that also works miracles. It got red sharpie out of my beige carpet! Used full-strength, it takes out ink. :-D :-D

frauhahn 04-01-2011 12:33 PM

Glad you were able to save them!

debcavan 04-01-2011 12:38 PM

Axyclen armour--that is too funny. I am glad they came out that well and I will make a mental note of what you did. My husband leaves pens in his shirts all the time

gunny148 04-01-2011 12:40 PM

Mom always washed her clothes with bakingsoda, she did this up until she passed away in 1993. and i still use it...good stuff

julia58 04-01-2011 01:10 PM

So glad you and your husband were able to save the bags. I know you spend alot of time and $ on them. I will be adding the product to my laundry shelf. DH gets stains on his clothes all the time, and my little bottle of grandma's stain remover is just about empty.