Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lettuce Bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lettuce-bags-t56990.html)

cbuchanan 07-30-2010 10:33 AM

I was in Joann's last week and the lady in front of me had a bolt of terry cloth. We got to talking about what our projects were and she said she was making lettuce bags for her family for Christmas. I had never heard of one. I never got more info from her. I have a devil of a time keeping lettuce fresh in the frig and she said these bags keep lettuce fresh for a long time. Does anyone know about this? Measurements and instructions? I don't know whether you put them in frig dry or maybe damp. Appreciate any information anyone can give me.

DOTTYMO 07-30-2010 10:36 AM

Sounds fasinating would love to learn more.

texas granny 07-30-2010 10:42 AM

I recieved one from my aunt years ago. and one for the celery also.
you wet the bag then put the lettuce and celery in them
I remeber the celery bag did have a tie on it I'm sure the lettuce did also

p38flygirl 07-30-2010 10:53 AM

I searched the net for salad bags..I found 2 that are manufactered..One is made of microfiber and the other is 100% cotton..they have a drawstringtop and are about 7x9 inches in size..Looks promising..I may give it a try..Just wash your greens and put in bag while wet..It keeps for 2 weeks..Then just wash the bag in the laundry as needed... Diane

Evelynquilts 07-30-2010 11:23 AM

Would love to know more about these,,,would make cute gifts...

cbuchanan 07-30-2010 11:25 AM

Thanks, flygirl... Why didn't I think to Google search. Guess I just always depend on this board to solve all my problems.

trupeach1 07-30-2010 11:34 AM

I made then a few years ago. I used flour sack towels and embroidered veggies on them. Lettuce for lettuce, celery for celery, you get the picture. I put a drawstring in the top of the bag. I never wet the bag I washed the veggies and let them drip dry and in it went. I made them for onions and potatoes too, they worked great the kept alot longer before they sprouted. They make really cute gifts. I did a set of 2 bags 1 a baked potato bag and I used the same fabric to trim the un cooked potato bag.

p38flygirl 07-30-2010 12:00 PM

They sound so cute..The embroidery would be really nice..Do you have instructions for the baked potato bag, along with the cooking instructions ?? I have never made or used one...thanks, Diane

ka9sdn 07-30-2010 01:25 PM

This sounds neat and you could put them in the veggie drawer and not take up shelf space with a plastic container. If you post directions will look for it!

trupeach1 07-30-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by p38flygirl
They sound so cute..The embroidery would be really nice..Do you have instructions for the baked potato bag, along with the cooking instructions ?? I have never made or used one...thanks, Diane

The baked potato bag has to be made with 100% cotton everything, that means batting or they could catch fire. You can make it any size you want to so the amount of potatoes you will be baking fit. It would be made the same way a tote would be made a layer of fabric then batting then fabric. To bake microwave on high 5 minutes for each potato in the bag.