Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Life changing events (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/life-changing-events-t68052.html)

sewbeeit42 10-03-2010 10:36 AM

We recently lost our home, RV and a car in the gas explosion and fire in San Bruno. I would like to chat with others who may have had a similar experience about how they coped, did insurance inventories (especially their quilting items) and what is down the road in the way of recovery.

PMY in QCA-IL 10-03-2010 10:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that. Have no experience to help you.

Qbee 10-03-2010 11:24 AM

I have no experience with that kind of ordeal but am so sorry for your loss. Welcome to the forum and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

sewgull 10-03-2010 12:12 PM

Sorry for your loss. Make an inventory of everything you can remember in your sewing supplies including fabric, marker, thread, pins and etc. Make notes anytime you think of something lost include anything in your home or RV. This will help the insurance company. As you list items include the cost of replacing each item,(not what you paid). For mental recovery I can tell you go ahead and cry all you need too. Grief comes to each person in a different manner. Don't fight grief it ia a natural process of healing. If you feel counceling would help don't be timid about asking. Prayers for you and your familhy.

Magdalena 10-03-2010 12:12 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I don't have that experience, but I live less than two hours away - so if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. My heart and prayers to you and your community.

DoxieMom 10-03-2010 12:26 PM

Sewgull has good advice. I was in Hurricane Andrew and submitted a very detailed claim which was paid in full partly I believe because it was so detailed (down to spools of thread...). I took photographs of the soggy mess as I sifted through the destruction. Due to the fire/explosion you probably have less to photograph than I did, but you may be able to recreate/remember things by looking at photos other people took in your home. Many retailers keep records of purchases (Amazon, Lowes, etc.) so that could help you remember things also. The whole experience can be very depressing and it can take a long time for an area to recover--long after the rest of the world has gone on, you're still dealing with it. Just remember that "things" are just "things" and can be replaced. Feel free to PM me if you like. For many years, my reference point was "before or after Andrew"... Dianne

watterstide 10-03-2010 12:29 PM

Oh my gosh..i am so sorry! we had a fire..but it was 100% protein smoke damage..they took every single thing out of the house to be cleaned. i had state farm and we had no problems with them at all.
I can't imagine what you are going through!
there are others here on this board who have had fires..
"Adriensmom" went through it..her husband just posted a few days ago.

sewgull 10-03-2010 12:55 PM

Agreeing to Doxie Mom, We went thur hurricane Hugo in 21 years ago. I have yet to look at the videos we took after the hurricane.
If you would like to PM me please feel free. Sometimes it can be good to share your feelings. We all need friends to lean on.

loopywren 10-03-2010 02:02 PM

I cannot help you but my heart goes out to you.

Jim's Gem 10-03-2010 02:16 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I have only had to deal with insurance pertaining to water damage. It's easy to show insurance all that you had, cause you still have it, only ruined.