Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lincoln the Movie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lincoln-movie-t209143.html)

nstitches4u 12-25-2012 06:50 PM

I agree. Lincoln is a great movie. It is interesting that political tricks and maneuvering have been going on for a long time.

mhollifiel 12-26-2012 03:29 AM

In my 65 years I have been to 2 movies where the audience clapped after it ended. Lincoln was one of them. It was just a brilliant movie in every way and very thought provoking.

Mkotch 12-26-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5738060)
the only thing... it's 2.5 hrs long!

The time flew by - I didn't notice it was long at all. It was wonderful, and I'd see it again.

kathyd 12-26-2012 03:57 PM

Hubby and I saw it and it was a great movie. Will be joining our movie collection!

Monika 12-26-2012 05:39 PM

We loved it too. I am with all those people who are talking Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis. It was moving.

memereof8 12-26-2012 06:09 PM

My husband is a history buff and said the movie was true to history. Loved Abe and Mrs. Lincoln. Sally Fields was wonderful as his wife. What an actress! Interesting how it was the Democrats that did not want to abolish slavery. Very interesting how our politics keep changing. I give the movie an A+. I may see it again.

CindyA 12-26-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by memereof8 (Post 5742126)
My husband is a history buff and said the movie was true to history. Loved Abe and Mrs. Lincoln. Sally Fields was wonderful as his wife. What an actress! Interesting how it was the Democrats that did not want to abolish slavery. Very interesting how our politics keep changing. I give the movie an A+. I may see it again.

Yes, interesting. I believe there has been a switch in the philosophy of the parties, although I'm not sure when that happened. Sally Fields, awesome, if genereous (?), portrayal of Mary!

CindyA 12-26-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by helou (Post 5739551)
CindyA, You're very welcome. We were some disappointed to not be able to go into the capitol but at the same time it is interesting to witness the set up for one of Spielberg's film... amazing how things just happen when you don't expect them... in our own city tourists see thing that we don't even know
I thought it was nice that they even put up a sign saying why the lawn was not mowed lolll

I'm trying to post a pic of that sign but I guess I can't make it work this morning...

If you are able to post pic of the sign re: lawn not mowed, I'd still love to see it. :)

We took our sons (16 and 20 yrs) to it and they enjoyed it enough to comment and listen to a few comments by their father and me. Now that's saying something about a historical film!!

helou 12-27-2012 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384225[/ATTACH]there, I think it worked, I am more awake this morning and I have my cup of coffee loll

I thought it was nice to see the explanation ...

quiltmom04 12-27-2012 06:07 AM

I loved the movie. The 2 1/2 hours goes by quickly. I don't know enough about Daniel day-Lewis to have recognized him, but it was like Lincoln came to life! I will never look at a picture of Lincoln the same way again. While Sally Field did a great job, I still had trouble believing she was Mary Lincoln - just that Abe had married Sally Field!