Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Little Churchs An Angel Whispered (another horse intro) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/little-churchs-angel-whispered-another-horse-intro-t4203.html)

barnbum 01-23-2008 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Whisper was born May 23rd, 2005. Her bite started going off at 3 months and never went back on. I had the info from a dentist out west on what had to be done to get it back on track, but neither the 2 equine dentists nor the vets here would do it. So--I've had her for sale for a year. So many have been interested, but no one bought her. I decided to keep her and use her for a broodmare in a few years. At first I wasn't comfortable using her to breed with an off bite--but everything else about her is stunning to me. I've researched both sides of her family and there are no off bites anywhere--so I think it'll be fine. I think she and Jazz will make beautiful babies. :wink:

barnbum 01-23-2008 07:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have over 1000 pictures, so I dug up a few more... :wink:

barnbum 01-23-2008 07:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay--I'll stop. :D She is a beautiful girl, yes? And, the icing is she is oh so sweet.

annmarie 01-23-2008 08:47 PM

Whisper is precious. I can see why you don't want to part with her. Can you explain "Bite started going off" to us non horsey people? Her mouth looks fine in the pictures & she appears well fed. :?

Moonpi 01-23-2008 08:52 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! They are so great.

Celeste 01-24-2008 12:57 AM

Whisper is adorable! I too do not understand the bite problem, but I'm sorry there's no help nearby.

Rebecca Chambley 01-24-2008 01:55 AM

I don't know what an off-bite is either. But there is nothing wrong, as I can see. They are so precious, there is no other word to describe these little darlings. Pure eye candy.....

barnbum 01-24-2008 04:01 AM

An off bite is an underbite in her case. Her top teeth are behind her bottom teeth. The front teeth--incisors--needed to be filed (floated) when she was young. Once the top teeth get stuck back there the top jaw can not grow against the resistance. Her molars line up fine-so that's why it's not a problem for her at all--horses don't need their front teeth to line up in order to eat. They do need their back teeth to chew.

Horses need thier teeth floated on a regular basis--checked at least once a year. No one wanted to touch her incisors--dentists usually only float the back molars. But the famous dentist in the west emailed me about what needed to be done over a year ago. No one would do it. I can tell her top jaw wants to line up--I watch it all carefully--but it can't. There's still a chance it could straighten up when her permanent teeth come in. My vet just gave me the number for the equine dentist at Cornell--so I'm going to try her.

Horse folks encourage the breeding of only perfect animals--but in this case--after thinking about it for 2 years and watching her and researching--I'm comfortable with breeding her. But not for 2 years at least. If a perfect buyer happened along--I'd let her go. Maybe. :wink:

Minda 01-24-2008 08:27 AM

She is gorgeous. I hope everything works out okay.

Celeste 05-06-2009 02:27 PM

Karla, I've been looking back through your "babies" pictures. Now I'm curious; were you able to find someone to float her front teeth?