Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   looking for a garment pattern! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/looking-garment-pattern-t64861.html)

jbud2 09-15-2010 10:26 AM

My 3 year old granddaughter does not like to wear turtleneck tops. I looked online for any free blouse patterns and did find a peasant blouse that I can make. For you sewers out there, is there a pattern you use to make children's clothing that you particularly like? I stopped by Joann's yesterday and was stunned to see the price of patternss - 11.95 and up! And then there was sign posted "always __% off" - I forget what the figure was! I know it's been a long time since my daughter was a toddler, but wow! Thanks for your help!

sewmuchmore 09-15-2010 10:29 AM

Hobby Lobby about once a month put patterns on sale for .99 cents. Keep watching. I am sure other do the same.

kathy 09-15-2010 10:30 AM

patterns are very high but JoAnn's and Hancock's regularly put them on sale , some for .99, just takes timing

oatw13 09-15-2010 10:34 AM

JoAnn's will have Butterick patterns on sale for $0.99 each September 19-25, limit 5.

The patterns always sell fast during these sales, so I would go as early in the week as possible.

They have a sale like this with different pattern brands featured about every 6 weeks or so.

There are also a couple of brands that are $1.99 regularly. Walmart also sells reduced price and cheaper patterns if you still have a full fabric department.

You can also try the library for sewing books. I have found some with sewing patterns (you have to trace them). Off hand, I don't remember the names of them. Maybe one was by Amy Butler?

jbud2 09-15-2010 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone! HobbyLobby is about 40 miles away, JoAnn's thru one the busiest parts of the county! The store looks close on the map but time-wise, it's frustrating! Our Walmart does still have its fabric department - I will check there. -J

pocoellie 09-15-2010 11:30 AM

I never buy clothing patterns unless they're on sale from .99-2.00, not that I need any more patterns. LOL I hardle sew clothing anymore.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-16-2010 06:39 AM

What are garment patterns????
Ha ha it's been THAT long since I made anything to wear :D

prairiequeen 09-16-2010 06:51 AM

I am the same way, I use to sew all my summer clothes when I was a teen.Had boys not fun to sew for and quit sewing all together.Took up quilting 15 years ago.Two weeks ago became irratated with trying to find blouses that weren't for a teen I bought a simple pattern bought some Blank quilting fabric washed it and made a beautiful blouse and I have scraps to make a quilt.Just like the old timers did it!

Butterflyblue 09-16-2010 08:04 AM

At Wal-mart they have New Look patterns, they run around 3.50, I think. There's one I've used that is a unisex 1T to 4T wardrobe with pants, shorts, and a boy and girl version of a button down shirt (the girl version has puffy sleeves) as well as a little skirt. I've used it a lot for my kids, as the shirt pattern is very simple and the pants even more so.

Also there are the "It's So Easy" patterns from Simplicity at Wal-Mart, and they are really easy, and run about $2.50 (I think).

I'm sure you can find something.

Ditter43 09-16-2010 09:52 AM

You can often find patterns at thrift stores..... :D