Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lyme Disease (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lyme-disease-t131585.html)

belmer 06-19-2011 09:37 AM

So sorry to here that......I am in my gardens all the time. I found a regular tick on one of my pugs, but it was just crawling and did not attatch itself yet! I keep checking myself too.I'm curious... How are they treating the disese?

belmer 06-19-2011 09:38 AM

So sorry to here that......I am in my gardens all the time. I found a regular tick on one of my pugs, but it was just crawling and did not attatch itself yet! I keep checking myself too.I'm curious... How are they treating the disese?

romanojg 06-19-2011 09:52 AM

Were we live there has never been a problem but my daughter works in a grooming shop and says they are seeing more and more dogs coming in with them.We make sure what we treat our animals with also have the tick prevention in it.

Scrap Happy 06-19-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
Were we live there has never been a problem but my daughter works in a grooming shop and says they are seeing more and more dogs coming in with them.We make sure what we treat our animals with also have the tick prevention in it.

The ticks here in FL didn't used to carry Lyme Disease either. We used tick prevention in the summer but not winter. The year our dog got Lymes disease was the beginning of vets seeing Lyme Disease here. They suspect the ticks came here with the mulch but aren't sure.

Moonpi 06-19-2011 01:00 PM

I had Lyme twice. The first time, I had the classic rash, and six weeks of tetracycline later, I was fine. The second time, no rash. I thought I was going to be crippled for life, suffered for a year, and it left me with fibromyalgia.

If you think you have it, please get checked out. I waited and went from healthy and strong to permanent damage.

Mimito2 06-19-2011 01:04 PM

I had a tick bite that had the bulls eye rash come up and by the time I got "worked in" at the DR office it was dissipating to just pale pink. He said it was a bug bite and refused to do anything about it. Is there a test I can demand that he do? This was 4 years ago and I have started having chronic joint pain.

azwendyg 06-19-2011 01:12 PM

Every one here is right; do get it treated right away! And insist on getting tested if you even suspect you may have it.

My DH went undiagnosed with Lymes for well over a year. He was very ill and couldn't work; lots of common symptoms but the docs here in Arizona wouldn't even test for it back when he got it in the 90's. We finally got him tested and treated. He never had the classic bulls-eye rash either, but his test results were definitively positive. After almost a year of various antibiotics, he's left with tremors, insomnia and other various neurological problems. He's been disabled since; changed our lives dramatically.

Kooklabell 06-19-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Patricia, how are they treating you for it???

I've been given an antibiotic to take twice daily for 21 days. I don't have any symptoms except the rash and I know exactly when I was bit. We caught it early

Kooklabell 06-19-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by belmer

I thought mine was a "regular" tick too! It was big, like a dog tick. But it turned out to be an adult deer tick. I have the antibiotics and all should be fine. Thank you. Please just keep looking if one gets into your skin. Mine was hardly attached - was only on me for a few hours.

Kooklabell 06-19-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I had Lyme twice. The first time, I had the classic rash, and six weeks of tetracycline later, I was fine. The second time, no rash. I thought I was going to be crippled for life, suffered for a year, and it left me with fibromyalgia.

If you think you have it, please get checked out. I waited and went from healthy and strong to permanent damage.

Oh, I did. As soon as I saw the classic bulls eye. I have the tetracycline. I wondered what happens from now on, if I could get it again. Shoot, I was hoping that now I'd be immune. :cry: