Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This made me smile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/made-me-smile-t139788.html)

CoventryUK 07-24-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey

Originally Posted by valsma
A few years back I tried to buy a clothes line in the store. You know the square kind on a pole that open like and umbrella. Nobody seemed to have a clue what I was talking about of the younger associates. An older associate heard my request and said "oh you mean a SOLAR Clothes Dryer." Apparently that is what they call them now. I about died laughing. LOL

A few years ago I needed a new umbrella clothes dryer and no one knew what I was talking about, finally found one in Home Depot - just one lone box pushed into a corner.

Called a rotary clothesdryer in UK!!

xsquilter 07-24-2011 12:51 PM

Well, I'll be...I didn't know about the "rules"...but I have to tell you that I've followed them unknowingly! My husband says it doesn't matter how they're hung out....boy, is he wrong!!! I love hanging clothes out on the line.
Maureen

luckylindy333 07-24-2011 12:57 PM

I used to hang out my brother's diapers on the clothesline back in the 50's. My Mom bought or made, I am not sure, big diapers about 10x20, maybe. Then you folded them according to the size of the baby. When my kids were born, I found prefolded cloth diapers at Sears and Robuck. We tried to dry them on the clothesline as much as possible- DH did the laundry, bless him! We don't have a clothesline now, I really miss the smell of the sheets dried outside.

Stacey 07-24-2011 01:00 PM

I remember doing all those things. I love the smell of line dried clothes. But, alas, our property owners assoc does not allow clotheslines. What nerve.

IngeMK 07-24-2011 01:18 PM

been there done that :-P

gus 07-24-2011 02:00 PM

I remember and wish I had a line now

newjeepgreen 07-24-2011 02:13 PM

I remember them well. Many times I helped put the clothes on the line when I was growing up. Always Monday and yes washed the line first. All small items first and everything in rotation. Still do it. I love to see my washing blowing in the wind.

akisan 07-24-2011 02:21 PM

Memories of my mother.

Jennie and Me 07-24-2011 02:28 PM

I love the smell of clothes dried in the open air; however, my hubby hates the smell(seriously, there is something wrong with that man. I seldom hang anything out to dry.
I do have my Mom's clothesline poles. Love them and they bring back such wonderful memories.

WMUTeach 07-24-2011 03:04 PM

I remember those rules well. I had forgotten all about washing the line until your message included it. More than once I recall having to rewash items because they had a smudge left from a dirty clothes line.

I wish I had a line to at least hang the sheets in my yard. I do love ironing but many fabrics almost require a dryer to keep the wrinkles out. It has always been my favorite part of wash day, wash night or what ever we do now. I am no longer a Monday wash day person. Sigh.........just remeber the good old days of hauling baskets of heavy clothes out to the line, your kids running through them playing hide and seek and the baby learning how to walk hanging on the towels. Goodness, I sound old!