Rules for Clotheslines -- You'll love this......
You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can hear my mother now.
My mother would have loved this! Do you remember?
THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (If you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this.
1. You had to wash the clothesline before hanging any clothes - walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.
3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail. What would the neighbors think?
4. Wash day on a Monday! Never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for Heaven's sake!
5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!).
6. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather ... clothes would "freeze-dry".(I so remember this)
7. Always gather the clothespins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"
8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothespins, but shared one of the clothespins with the next washed item.
9. Clothes off the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.
10. IRONED?! On Tuesday .. Well, that's a whole other subject!
My mother still line dries her clothes...follows most of these rules
i love this.. ty for sharing
I do remember.... and still occassionally hang out my clothes.
I remember these rules well, broke them all as soon as I moved out on my own.
Yes, indeed I do remember. Love to hang bed clothes on the line. Can't hang clothes in this neighborhood unless you have a privacy fence. Next on the list of home improvement.
Still following most of the rules. I remember my mother's fingers turning blue in the winter!!!
I hang my 'laundry' on the line still.. whether its in the laundry/mud room or outside.. Ill use the dryer to 'heat' the area in the winter.. but i still 'fluff' my laundry in the dryer for 10-15 min just off the line to remove possible lil critters hitching a ride..
i do remeber very well thanks for sharing