Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   March 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/march-2013-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t215050.html)

createfourpaws 03-19-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound (Post 5938995)
Pat, what's the Mystery Train ride? Sounds interesting. I have named my sewing room & craft room My Retreat since they are both upstairs & only M-I-N-E :thumbup: I have never been to a real retreat but that sounds fun. Good for you on your walking!

I am also doing the Mystery Train ride. it is a mystery quilt with weekly postings for the clues. it is my paintmejudy and this is her 5th one. Here is the link, we have only gotten 2 clues. first one is the required fabric, post #1, second clue is post 376. Join if if you want

Teddybear Lady 03-19-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 5936326)
What are you doing to drop so much?

I joined a weight loss program here in town called Sue's NuEnergy. It's almost like the Diet Center Diet that I've seen online. I eat regular food (learning portion control) drink 96 oz. water daily, and have three of the high protein supplements a day. Ex: shakes, bars, soups,... I have a serving of protein each meal, a bread serving, a vegetable serving plus a salad if I want it. I use low fat dressings and eat a variety of fruits. I can have 2 a day. It kind of reminds me of the old Weight Watchers plan from years ago except for the three supplement I have to have. The supplement bars remind me of the Atkins bars. High in protein. I think the total calorie intake is about 1200 a day. So far, I'm satisfied when I eat. I've gotten myself weaned off sugar and I limit my salt to 1/4 tsp. a day. That has helped me a lot too. I eat fresh fruits and veg. and grill or bake my meat (chicken, fish, ground round). I've finally found something I can live with. I even go out and eat on Sundays with my family and friends from church. I usually get a salad with grilled chicken. So far it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

Vanogay 03-19-2013 10:44 AM

Terrific Tuesday. To continue with the article in the Womans Day magazine, these few helpers are added:
Never eat sugar alone: Save the occasional candy bar, licorice or other sweet treat for after a meal that contains protein and fat, which will slow your body's absorption of sugar and prevent sharp ups and downs. Drink an 8-oz glass of water with every meal. Enjoy strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple or watermelon at breakfast. These high-in-H2O fruits will ensure that you don't start your day with a deficit.

Teddybear Lady 03-19-2013 10:48 AM

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday on my "weigh in" day. I was down another 3.8 lbs. since last Thursday. I've been on a plateau, but found out also that I've lost another 6 1/2 inches. My totals now for Jan. 1st to March 18 are 25.4 lbs. and 24 3/4 inches. It's a slow process, but I'm learning portion control and better eating habits. I'm also learning I can make wiser choices when going out to eat.

As for sewing, I'm still working on a quilt for my cousin's daughter. I'm having trouble with my left wrist (carpel tunnel) so I can't do a lot at one sitting. Even as I type, my wrist is complaining.

I have to cut some more strips for her quilt and iron the squares I have finished.

Mousie 03-19-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H (Post 5931269)
For those of you that have been here for a while you might remember me telling about my great nephew with Batten Disease. Ethan passed away yesterday. He would have been 5 in May. It is so very sad I can hardly stand it. Ethan's great grandmother passed away today. That poor family!

said a prayer for your family, Pam.
There is just nothing we can say when a child passes, just be there.
I think it must be the worst kind of pain. Dear Lord, bless you all.

Mousie 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 5936300)
Help --- I have fallen off the wagon and can't get back on. Don't know why, when I was doing good.
My DH took me shopping to 2 quilt stores on Sat for International Quilt day. Did not go overboard. We did stop to eat on way home and the serving of french fries was huge (I am not a FF lover) and I ate them ALL! What happened to will power?

I feel so silly complaining about my lack of will power when I read about Pam's nephew. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Go for my third, and final, spine injection today -- hope it lasts. Maybe then I can exercising and walking.

don't feel silly, pain is pain, we just have different kinds.
I know what it's like to feel out of control with something and desperate to find a way to "get a grip".
I didn't get one this last time around about my weight issues until my body just started falling apart all over the place!
That'll sure wake a mousie up! :eek:

meanmom 03-19-2013 06:54 PM

I have 2 quilts I am working on that I am a little bit stumped on. One is the quilt I am making for my new grandson. It is applique but it just needs something. I wasn't quite sure what. I have had it hanging on the wall for 2 weeks staring at it trying to decide what it needs. Tonight I added a sun to it. I think I like it. The other quilt is a scrappy that is blah. No home for that one. I asked my DS opinion because he is good with colors etc. He liked what I had done but you will never guess what he told me....... "Don't you think you are getting a little bit carried away with all of this quilting stuff." Is he crazy??????

Pam H 03-19-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and concern. The funeral will be thursday evening north of Minneapolis and the burial will be saturday in my town in Wisconsin. Both things will be very tough to go through but are so important for closure so the healing can begin.

Beachbound 03-20-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 5939228)
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday on my "weigh in" day. I was down another 3.8 lbs. since last Thursday. I've been on a plateau, but found out also that I've lost another 6 1/2 inches. My totals now for Jan. 1st to March 18 are 25.4 lbs. and 24 3/4 inches. It's a slow process, but I'm learning portion control and better eating habits. I'm also learning I can make wiser choices when going out to eat.

As for sewing, I'm still working on a quilt for my cousin's daughter. I'm having trouble with my left wrist (carpel tunnel) so I can't do a lot at one sitting. Even as I type, my wrist is complaining.

I have to cut some more strips for her quilt and iron the squares I have finished.

Those are amazing totals!!! Well done!

Beachbound 03-20-2013 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 5940231)
I have 2 quilts I am working on that I am a little bit stumped on. One is the quilt I am making for my new grandson. It is applique but it just needs something. I wasn't quite sure what. I have had it hanging on the wall for 2 weeks staring at it trying to decide what it needs. Tonight I added a sun to it. I think I like it. The other quilt is a scrappy that is blah. No home for that one. I asked my DS opinion because he is good with colors etc. He liked what I had done but you will never guess what he told me....... "Don't you think you are getting a little bit carried away with all of this quilting stuff." Is he crazy??????

Bahahaha!! watch, he will be the first one in line to take your beauties home too. I find I have that same problem sometimes. Sooner or later the quilt always tells me what it wants.

I decided not to join the mystery train this time (still too much going on) but sure hope you ladies show us what you're doing. Maybe next time I can hop aboard.