Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Memorial Day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/memorial-day-t190048.html)

patchsamkim 05-26-2012 07:42 AM

Memorial Day

What special plans do you have for this holiday weekend? I hope to do some sewing, work around house-inside and out, and dinner out with my youngest son for his 22nd birthday. And on Sunday night, I will be watching the National Memorial Day Concert (on PBS)..I watch it every year and am always so moved by the performances and tributes to those who have served our country.

Here is a link to the performers for this years concert: http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcer...erformers.html

gramajo 05-26-2012 10:43 AM

DD & GKs were here this am to help out in the yard, carry boxes to garage for town-wide garage sales in 2 weeks. I'm going to quilt my BFF's 70th birthday memory quilt for the rest of the day. Have to work tomorrow & probably Mon. Hoping I get home early enough tomorrow to catch the end of the Indy 500 & then watch (or listen to) NASCAR after that. Will quilt Mon. before/after work--don't know what time I have to go in yet. I was off Thur. & Fri. so got most of the necessary chores done then, so I could quilt the rest of the weekend. Oh, Mon. am, I'm going to town Memorial Day Parade out to the cemetery. GKs are Boy/Girl Scouts so they will be marching.

I hope you all have a good/safe/fun/happy weekend.

burchquilts 05-26-2012 03:17 PM

My kids are all scattered to the wind this weekend & the weather here is stormy & bad so looks like it'll be an inside weekend. I have a couple of jelly rolls I want to turn into Jelly Roll Race (or 1600 or whatever they're called this week... LOL!) quilts. It probably might not be a bad idea to do some cleaning but I think I'll try to resist that urge... LOL! Oh, I do plan to observe the minute of silence Monday at noon. That's about it up here.

Pam B 05-27-2012 12:36 PM

This is an unusually busy Memorial Day weeked for me. SIL and BIL flew in from Denver Friday afternoon and will be going home on Tues. So Fri nite all DH siblings and spouses came to our house to eat pizza and visit. Yesterday DH and I went with our youngest daughter (recent college grad) to help her select her very first apt. (Right now she is commuting about an hour and fifteen minutes each way to her new job.) She will move in at the beginning of July. Today I got up early to fill coolers as the guys plus DD and her boyfriend were headed to the Indy 500! When they arrive home this evening, we are having a cookout for more friends and relatives who want to visit our houseguests. Tomorrow while SIL and BIL are off visiting yet other relatives and friends, DH and I have decided to replace doors to our backyard and possibly to our front porch. Then tomorrow evenining, my dad and step-mom are coming for dinner. Did I mention I feel like I have done nothing but cook and clean all weekend? I love having company but I am also very envious of those who have some time to quilt this weekend. Oh, well...I have 3 more days of school this week then I will have some free time to relax. SIL and BIL will be flying here again in 3 weeks for a family member's wedding and then we (the 4 of us) are going to vacation in a beautiful cabin in Gatlinburg. Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone!

AliceQ 05-28-2012 04:32 AM

I'm taking my mom Lazy Boy shopping. Then later filling window boxes and even later i have to get at the Steelers pillowcases I'm making for a student's birthday gift.
Happy Memorial Day to all, especially troops and their families. As the Mom of a Marine and the sister of a Viet Nam vet, this day is one I feel deeply about. God bless you all!

vivoaks 05-28-2012 04:38 PM

I took part in our local Memorial Day parade...got to ride in a convertible because I'm a vet. When we reached the cemetary where the service was to be held, another female vet and myself laid a wreath at the memorial for fallen soldiers. Then home to try to stay out of the heat and humidity!!!