Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   menopause (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/menopause-t82639.html)

hobo2000 12-13-2010 05:24 PM

I had Hystorectomy at 46, now i'm 72, still have night sweats, Doc says its normal because they left one ovary for harmonal purposes. Good luck!

sewTinker 12-13-2010 05:33 PM

I had my last period when I was one month past my 45th birthday. Poof. Never got one again. Hadn't been irregular. Didn't have the pre-menopausal symptoms. Except, I started with horrendous (Horrendous! I tell you!) hot flashes about 2 months prior. Those awful things came constantly and lasted for several years. Now, at 59, I still have flashes, but they are Minor - mostly in bed at night and with my coffee in the early morning, and much weaker than those first years. I had no personality changes. Remained my sweet self throughout. My daughter, however, would beg to differ.

hannajo 12-13-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I was REALLY crabby. My DH is a saint. He says he never wants to take another wife through that. I am sorry to everyone I was awful to.

I'm 32 and just informed my DH that one day I'll be even moodier than I already am. He said, "I'm in trouble..."

ptquilts 12-13-2010 05:37 PM

I am 54 and WAITING for my periods to stop or get irregular. Started having mild hot flashes a while back, added ground flaxseed to my diet and they are almost gone.

If you have gone 12 mos. without a period, you are officially in menopause. Your certificate will be coming in the mail any day now.

fidgety 12-13-2010 06:11 PM

I had a ovary removed in 2005. It has been downhill every since. I have had so many things happen it has been horrible. ocular migraines, heachaches, sweats, Blah Blah Blah. lol.. went with period for 8 months... TWICE NOW!!!!! Grrrrrr. They keep telling me it will get better. just not ast enough.. lol hang in there.

renee765 12-13-2010 06:22 PM

I had my last period at the age of 47, and now, just having turned 60, I am starting to feel cold again. It literally has been 13 years since I needed a sweater or lap quilt during the evening. What a blessing to feel chilled again!

I am finding that life 'on the other side' is not a bad thing.

buslady 12-13-2010 06:35 PM

try black cohash, power ssurges so bad i thought i d spontaneously cumbust! LOL. seriously, they do subside some with time, hang in there.

pstoner 12-13-2010 06:39 PM

Sorry that you are going through it, just remember you are not alone. I went through it all at once six years ago after having surgery, I was only 39. The after effects are worse, hair in places there shouldn't be, and I know what someone said about the AC-they used to ask who had it cold enough to hang meat in the office.

frugalfabrics 12-13-2010 06:47 PM

Had total hysterectomy at age 43 - took both ovaries, the uterus, fallopian tubes, lymph nodes, and seems like he took my memory, my patience, and my good nature too! Hot flashes started 3 days after the surgery...and like most others, the heat is not allowed to be turned up in my house, I don't wear a coat in the winter, and would never think of wearing long sleeves. I take a low dose of estrogen (.5mg) which does control the hot flashes, so I no longer have them...the temperature of my entire body has been dialed down, so that I just don't want the feeling of being warm anymore...I can't sit by fireplaces, or heat registers without feeling uncomfortable really quick.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-13-2010 07:05 PM

I can only attribute my lack of a lot of what the others are saying as being on anti-depressants during menopause. I had only minor hot flashes, and a problem with early morning waking for about 2 years. That was it. My mother had a horrible menopause and I was bracing for a similar one but it never happened. Everyone is different but I do believe for me it was the anti-depressant Paxil.
On the other hand, my sister is over 60 and STILL getting hot flashes!!!! She's always warm, I'm always cold!
Good luck honey!! You'll get through it!! :D