Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mice are invading my sewing room basement again!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mice-invading-my-sewing-room-basement-again-t77335.html)

hockeymom 11-19-2010 07:52 AM

My sewing room is in my finished basement. In the past we have had a few mice. Lately, there is at least 1 dead mouse a week.(the smell is terrible) We have an exterminator come and set traps, but they are still coming in. I don't know where they are coming from. I am allergic to cats so that is not an option. I don't have the room to move the sewing room upstairs. I hope I don't have to give up sewing for the winter. Thanks for letting me vent.

feline fanatic 11-19-2010 07:55 AM

Some smaller breeds of dogs are excellent mousers as well. Have you tried those plug in things that emit a high frequency sound that is supposed to discourage them?

earlylace 11-19-2010 07:56 AM

Do you have the ability to check the traps to get rid of them before they smell. My sewing room is in the basement too, I just us those sticky pads and check regular. Throw them out and put down new pads, works good so far!

quiltlonger 11-19-2010 08:04 AM

Thats a sign of "winter's Coming" Mine is in the basement too are wood stove was down there and always got them when brought wood in. Now have Outside wood stove but usually get at least one inside I have the Plug-in things see less spiders but still need a trap My boston/jack russel always lets me "KNOW" when theres somebody extra!! Keep us posted

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-19-2010 08:04 AM

I don't know where you are, but around here this is a bad time of year for mice. They come in to stay warm and it can be hard to keep them out. Mice can get in through holes you wouldn't believe!

If you don't have kids or animals to worry about, put out lots of traps. When you get down there every day, the first thing you have to do is "run your trap line" and toss them all out. At least you won't have to smell them that way.

By the way, I don't know what your fabric is stored in but mice can chew through Rubbermaid totes without a problem.

bluteddi 11-19-2010 08:05 AM

ewwwww I tried the sticky pads. oh they worked great.. but the varmits dont die right away... It's terrible to hear them screaming and then they try gnawing off the legs..... The whole experience was tramatic!!!
I've used the electronic things.. they seem to work well for me.

bearisgray 11-19-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I don't know where you are, but around here this is a bad time of year for mice. They come in to stay warm and it can be hard to keep them out. Mice can get in through holes you wouldn't believe!

If you don't have kids or animals to worry about, put out lots of traps. When you get down there every day, the first thing you have to do is "run your trap line" and toss them all out. At least you won't have to smell them that way.

By the way, I don't know what your fabric is stored in but mice can chew through Rubbermaid totes without a problem.

That's disappointing to hear that they can chew the plastic totes. I was going to suggest storing the fabric in them.

PurplePassion 11-19-2010 08:19 AM

I have the electronic things too, one in the kitchen and one in the basement and one in the garage. I guess they don't work for me! I don't lie setting traps and haveing to pick them up to toss. I got a package of Tom Cat mouse bait , put it in the basement , and it is gone in a few days. I just spray alot of "Oust, air sanitizer " through out the house till the smell goes away.

Norene B 11-19-2010 08:24 AM

There are some bar baits that work well. The mice look for water after eating it and usually die close to a water dish. Otherwise they go back outside looking for water. The water seems to make the poison work better.

trupeach1 11-19-2010 08:31 AM

OMG I didn't think about them chewing throw the totes. I have a bi level and fabric and yarn in totes in the fist floor family room. I have in the past had mice in the laundry room and in the garage. The laundry has poison on the window sill at all time. I think I will put some in the garage as well. Maybe I should put poison around the bottom of the totes???????? Now I am freaking out I hate mice with a passion I will die if they get into my fabric. OMG I forgot I also have bags of flour and pasta in totes. Since I can't get to a store I have to buy in bulk on line. I hope they don't chew through and get into my food.