Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Minnesota Upper Peninsula? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/minnesota-upper-peninsula-t175770.html)

Kooklabell 01-15-2012 05:20 PM

Minnesota Upper Peninsula?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at vacationing in the Upper Peninsula of Minnesota, perhaps Ely or Grand Marias. Anyone familiar with the area? Any suggestions for a good place to stay? Any "must sees"? We'll only have a week - looking at the second week of August. Thanks..... oh, and of course any good quilt shops nearby? :)

Kookie

Sandra in Minnesota 01-15-2012 05:39 PM

I love Grand Marias and Duluth, but couldn't tell you about the quilt shops or places to stay. It has been about 20 years since we have been there. Good luck.

Kooklabell 01-15-2012 05:59 PM

Thank you Sandra. I love exploring new places - I've never been to Minnesota before so it is exciting. I know there are ladies on here who summer in the upper peninsula, but I don't remember who they are. Thanks again - hope you're having a good evening and keeping warm :)

CanoePam 01-15-2012 06:40 PM

If you take a look at my screen name, you may realize why I love Minnesota so much! We've been to Ely probably a dozen times, and we have enjoyed every trip. We are campers, both in campgrounds and in the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wildness, so I have limited knowledge of the hotels and cabins in the area. I do have friends who have stayed in the resorts, and I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain loudly. I would stay away from the "bunkhouse" style resort lodging - they can get noisy with excited canoers heading into the wilderness. I've stayed at the Grand Ely Lodge - very nice with rooms overlooking a great lake. Smitty's on Snowbank Lake is also nice. Take a look at the Ely website to see lots of options. Also try to take a canoe trip, even just a day trip on an easy lake. The country is too beautiful not to!

As for Grand Marais, it is a nice place right there on the big lake. I prefer Duluth though - lots of hotels/motels and you get to see the ships coming into the ship canal. If you are driving, make sure you take the time to visit the state parks along the lake shore - the falls and lighthouses are great.

Pam

Kooklabell 01-16-2012 01:16 PM

Oh thank you soooo much Pam. This is exactly the type of information I wanted to get. We love to canoe and visit state and national parks. I didn't know about the ships - I'd love to watch that!

Thank you again!
Kookie

QuiltNama 01-16-2012 01:30 PM

Kookie,
I live in Superior and work in Duluth, just across the bridge. There are a number of great quilt shops in the area. One in Cloquet and several in Duluth. There is also one in Beaver Bay, and another one just a few miles outside of Beaver Bay, on the way to Grand Maris. Just PM me and I will get the names of the shops and phone #'s so you can call for info.
Brenda

QuiltingQueen 01-16-2012 06:48 PM

I love going to the Quilter's Coop in Duluth. My husband loves the three story hardware store across the street from the quilt store too :) It was a win-win for both of us!