Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Miracle Tree (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/miracle-tree-t206800.html)

chickadeee55 11-24-2012 07:14 AM

Miracle Tree

Hi,

Our church put up a Miracle Tree, on it are tags with age groups for children. My understanding is we can pick a tag and purchase a gift for that age group and give it.

We do not know anything about the individual getting the gift, only the age and sex. And they do not know who it is from.

I picked a tag for a 13-17 yr old boy.

What do I get for this child? Looking for ideas. (would a gift card to a book store be ok, or would that be the easy way out). Because of the age, I am not sure what to get. And I am assuming these kids are from families that can not afford much for extras.

I thought a gift card would give the individual an opportunity to go buy something they would like to have. I felt a bookstore offered good choices for entertainment or knowledge, whatever he chooses. And I thought I would throw in a package of socks(because everyone can use socks) , and some sort of treat.

Help!

KarenR 11-24-2012 07:29 AM

This is a hard one.
Something that does not require batteries.

alwayslearning 11-24-2012 07:35 AM

I think a gift card to a book store would be wonderful (former used bookstore owner, here), unless they also sell music. Perhaps, you could select a book yourself. That age is perfect to introduce teen boys to science fiction/ fantasy so I would suggest the first books in a series. I am sure that the staff would help. The first of a Piers Anthony (fantasy) or Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein (both classic science fiction). It could open a whole new world!
I witnessed many a transformation during my years in bookstores: personality change from sullen to open and inquisitive, and new interest in school and learning!

maryb119 11-24-2012 07:37 AM

A gift card to Walmart would be good. He can chose what ever he wants or needs. Walmart caries a larger variety of items and a Walmart store is never very far away.

Krsy 11-24-2012 07:40 AM

In the past we've made a small stocking and put candy, socks and school supplies (pens, pencils) and the gift card for a store where they could purchase what they needed. We chose Walmart because the store had a larger variety of items they could buy (clothing, books, or a small toy).

Grandma Bonnie 11-24-2012 08:04 AM

I don't think you could go wrong with a WalMart gift card. They can get most anything they'd want there.

Tartan 11-24-2012 08:19 AM

I LOVE to read but I think a gift card to a book store may not appeal to some teenage boys. A gift card to Walmart would be a safer bet. Add a nice super sized chocolate bar to the card and I think it will be appreciated. With a Walmart gift card he could use it to purchase a gift for a family member or even put it towards a winter coat if needed.

QuiltE 11-24-2012 08:28 AM

First, check with the organizing group at your church, as sometimes gift cards are not allowed ... as they want "real" gifts.

For any gift cards, unless I know it's something the individual "really" wants ...
I think it's important to be sure it offers lots of options. While a book store gift card may be good for many, for some it may be less than appreciated ... unless the book store offers a lot more than books, and then there are many options available.

For example, one year, my sister gave me a gift card for Sears ... guess what? I had a hard time spending it, as I really did not want anything at Sears. I eventually spent it, but sadly, not on things that brought any "joy" to me! :)

I really like Tartan's idea of a super-sized chocolate bar ... who wouldn't be thrilled with that? :D

QuiltnNan 11-24-2012 11:51 AM

i like the bookstore gift card... the drawback is... is there one of those stores in his area? does he have transportation to go redeem it? if those answers are yes, then books are terrific!!

AuntieD 11-24-2012 04:50 PM

I think a giftcard to Walmart would be a great choice.